Air compressors

Grasshopper

Question

I am contemplating the purchase of an air compressor for spraying and running a grit blasting cabinet. It needs to be about 14cfm output or higher, and i have space for a 220 litre tank. 3 phase is an available for power.

Anybody know a good place to get one from? I have been looking at the machine mart ones (it's nearby) and wondered if they are any good, or is there anywhere that does reconditioned ones?

I don't have a huge amount to spend, but i want to get the right kit for the job.

Vince

12 answers to this question

I'm thinking just the same Vince. Problem with budget machines is they may not stick too many years of constant use - but if treated considerately should last quite a few vehicle restorations out.

Something that size will be a slow speed unit, so problems associated with those horrible smaller direct-drive units not arise.

The Hydrovane units are the biz, but prohibitively expensive.

What blast cabinet are you thinking about? I was looking at the larger Sealey units last night (on offer at present), but don't know what to think. 18cfm is recommended. It might be easy to make the cabinet somewhat bigger maybe, which would be useful for longer components.......

Personally I blame that 42Chevy guy for posting the photo of his workshop cash machine!

If you don't abuse the durability of the flimsy budget motor, it is doubtful that you would wear the compressor out. Then, the fundamental difference between budget and quality unit is the thickness of the air receiver. In the world of annual business insurance inspections it is the receiver which will probably limit the life of the unit.

Had you thought about something ex-military? My father bought a big old 3 phase thing which was used in a hangar. It was old then but used for a further 30 years in his business. Had a big tank and never broke a sweat even with coach/plant tyres. It wasn't massively expensive. Always a gamble buying from a sale though.

More recently we bought one of the 150L single phase 'Hobby' types and it will cope with simultaneous spraying and an air fed mask, but the motor runs a lot more. It takes much less room in the workshop and doesn't need a crane to move it-it can be pushed on a trolley. Hope this helps.:confused:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

We bought a good twin cyl second hand unit 13 yrs ago,put new belts on it,gets an oil change when somebody remembers,it same with draining the water.still going strong.that meens it will pack up now i supose.The one before was ww2,every time the insurance man checked the receiver he said the same thing.This tanks got more meat on it than a new one.I would try and find a good quality older one.

get the largest cfm out put you can afford with the largest storage tank and you ll be doing it right . what makes a compressor last is the amount of time it spends running hence if it got a large tank and once thats filled the compressor can either coast or stop for longer period of time and will let you draw down the system pressure /volume longer than a cheap lower cfm unit with a minimum sized storage tank .In a perfect world you would want to use only about 80% of the output of a compressor to allow it to recover and pause from time to time .

What blast cabinet are you thinking about? I was looking at the larger Sealey units last night (on offer at present), but don't know what to think. 18cfm is recommended. It might be easy to make the cabinet somewhat bigger maybe, which would be useful for longer components.......

Personally I blame that 42Chevy guy for posting the photo of his workshop cash machine!

There is a rather large cabinet which is no longer used at my work, which i may be able to get hold of. It's big enough for doing bits of train.....

Look like i should investigate a used, large compressor then. Thanks guys.

Vince

I'd definately go with a three phase motor. More power available and last longer than single phase. As others have said if it's not for commercial use you should be able to get hold of one that businesses are diposing of after three years due to tank conditions.

I have had a Clarke Air Compressor for about 5 years now 14cfm 150 Ltr tank, cast iron 2 cylinder compressor, 3 HP single phase motor belt drive, something to look out for is the opperating pressure, some are only about 100 psi and when most things run on 80psi you are on to a looser before you start, so go for 150psi, so you have more pressure to draw down on.

I have used da and a plasma cutter on mine and when sanding you get fed up sanding before you run out of air, does cause the motor to run nearly all the time but the pressure is still good.

nearly the best thing I have bought, all the air tools !!!!!

Someting has just poped to mind, make sure the air lines are big enough, bigger the better and couplings all go to lower volume at the end where you need it, more flow the better the tools work.

Yes size and length of hoses is very important, bigger and shorter the better.

Incidently I use a Hydrovane road compressor with a 4 cylinder Perkins for air for my shot blasting cabinet, and a 6 cylinder Ford driving a bigger Hydrovane with a huge tank for my blasting pot which I use in a 27' lorry back. Air supply is adequate I certainly wouldn't like to have less. Get as much as you can afford. You won't need anywhere as much air for paint spraying.