How do I get rid of petrol gunge?

fv1609

Question

I have taken the fuel tank off a vehicle that has been laid up for 12 years. The base of the tank has a layer of gunge, tar of some sort I suppose, how can I get rid of it?

I can scrape at it with a stick & eventually it reveals the metal underneath is fine. As this is so tenacious do I actually have to remove it? Or will it either tend to dislodge in particles as I drive around or will it dissolve with new fuel & gum up the carb?

Clearly I have to do something with the filler tube & the filter at the end as it won't let fuel through. Any ideas?

DSCF9921.jpg

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
It seems in effect to be a 1-Ton chassis, before the 1-Ton was officially manufactured. It is serial no.9 which makes it the oldest surviving Shorland in the world. Will sit beside the Pig which is the oldest surviving Pig in the world.

Does that mean they were on ENV axles?

ENV? Yes I think so.

I've been working on some other bits. The shelac type brown gunge has attacked other fuel tank components of course. I have been able to scrape the float but the filter gauze has been a problem. I subjected it to steam from the domestic steam cleaner, all that did was make the gunge more pliable. But it wouldn't flow off.

Tried various solvents including carb cleaner, but the only thing that would do it was universal thinner. Using an interspace tooth brush & a cotton bud on both sides of the gauze I shifted most of it. From a thing that looked like a lump of toffee.

Dscf9948.jpg

The problem is the gauze is still clogged & a few splits have appeared. Does anyone recognise this filter?

It doesn't appear in the 2A IPC. Is it a standard component from any other vehicle, just is a push fit onto the 1/4 in fuel pipe?

On the base it says "NYMOL 1 PAT"

Clive, I think that is the same as fitted to 110s, became a problem when doing Diesel conversions as it was too fine to pass enough diesel when it was very cold, that's how I know, should be a standard part.

I've just looked in my 110 IPC & various fuel tanks described, but one seems to match up to Strainer Element,Sediment PRC2475.

Thanks for that there is a dealer who has a MOD Rover service contract about 5 miles away. Let's hope he's not closed for Christmas yet!

No idea. I've never had any interest in Range Rovers - far too luxurious.

It would of been a wire gauze soldered in the good old days.do you really need it,dont you have a glass bowl/in line filter/yes same as range rover/Too luxurious:shocked:you didnt drive the early ones then Clive,sliding around on the plastic seats,agricultural g/box,Rover told the farmers they could use the RR for work then hose it out for church on sunday,the reply was we use the volvo for church.Brilliant concept though.Rover told a tiny lie claiming it to be the first of its kind ,who knows what was.?

Do I really need it? It's just that when it was put together someone who designed it thought it was needed. It's another line of defence, particularly at a time when there are degunging & derusting issues going on.

For the sake of £3 I might as well fit it. That's what the dealer said they cost, but he's sold out of them! The Wolf was making a funny noise, well not funny - worrying. Found it was a fractured bracket that supports the guard on the front brake disc surface. So rather than rub it down, mig it & paint it, I bought one for £3. So it wasn't a wasted journey.

Never like RRs to my mind they don't look like Land Rovers, I like vehicles to look as if they have been made out of a large Meccano set.

CW, Bronco?

On the right lines mate,but i was thinking more on the lines of a proper station wagon.air con,electric rear tailgate window etc.all in the 60s,

Pat willis speed evented a Bronco,great engine but it fell apart,think it was bovingdon ranges.CW.mind you everything he drove fell apart.if it didnt he won.:-D

A Jeep Wagoneer ?

Got it in one.

63_wagoneer.jpg

A good few yrs before the R/Rover.I have seen pics in the past of these in military service.

So POO to the lot of you! My Range Rover has the 2.8 Isuzi Turbo disiel in it, fabulous combination (Which is proably why Land Rover never did it).

Quite right Tony - I had an RR Commercial - wonder if many of you have seen one of those ? My vehicles have to work for their living & I loved it - but deffo not luxurious . Would probably have one now if the LR salesman had been less disinterested in selling one to me !

CW,

I think that pic is of a later model, earlier ones had a squarer grille :confused:

Its a 1963 Richard as far as i know.

Quite right Tony - I had an RR Commercial - wonder if many of you have seen one of those ? My vehicles have to work for their living & I loved it - but deffo not luxurious . Would probably have one now if the LR salesman had been less disinterested in selling one to me !

We had a Rovan ,re imported by a rover agent converted to rhd.had rear trim and rear seat,it was a way of getting around some french taxes.

It belonged to a customer of mine,he passed away and the familly sold it to my mate.We put a 3.9 cam in it and a 4choke webber,it was low compression and went everwhere in 3rd and 4th,really relaxed drive.

I thought you must have come across one CW . Most people don't have a clue what I'm on about when I say that I had one. Sadly I killed mine ! Terminal rot finished it off but it was on it's second life having been seriously crashed before I had it . Think it came from Macclesfield or somewhere similar and , as you say , originally went to France.

CW,

I think that pic is of a later model, earlier ones had a squarer grille :confused:

A bit of topic clive sorry,last one promise

SJwagoneer_66.jpg

Jeep civi stuff i find very interesting.