Army biscuit tins

Ivor Ramsden

Question

This might be a contender for daftest question ever but does anybody have any information on WW2-era Army biscuit tins? They are often seen in period photos, particularly of armoured vehicles. Many were re-used as cookers so I guess they were blackened with soot but what colour were they when new? Were they labelled?

18 answers to this question

Thanks, Tony. All the period photos that I've seen show a plain finish but I couldn't tell whether it was paint or bare metal. They seem to have been re-used for loads of different purposes either complete or cut down but I can't remember seeing one hung on a restored vehicle.

Do you know if they are the same dimensions as a Crawford's tin?

Lid 8 thou shet embossed W.C. & S. withe letter F under. *3/4 inch by 9 inch external with 1/4 inch recces.

13/16 turn at dge not rolled crimped corners.

Main box same gauge steel rolled top dimensions 9 inch depth by 8 1/2 inch width Bottom is seperate piece embosed CRAWFODS on the bottom.

I'm looking for another one to hang in the QL, we got the info from a veteran who remarked we were missing viatl kit, then explained how it was done.

tin 1.JPG

tin 2.JPG

tin 3.JPG

Lid 8 thou shet embossed W.C. & S. withe letter F under. *3/4 inch by 9 inch external with 1/4 inch recces.

13/16 turn at dge not rolled crimped corners.

Tony,

Those tins are same as the ones used to supply biscuits to retail shops, etc. It is only in postwar years ( Sixties on, I think) that biscuits were sold in packets, before that they were sold loose. Any broken ones were put all together and sold as. The tins were returnable from memory, and they had paper labels on them to indicate the types.

Ivor I think the tins you are talking about are the petrol cans known as flimsies which were used before the introduction of the jerry can. They were used in the desert and were packed 4 to a wooden crate, the wastage was horrendous, when the supply trucks reached their destination it was normal for more than half the petrol to be wasted and the truck bodies to be awash with petrol. To use for cooking they were cut down, half filled with sand and petrol added, many units were still using them in NW Europe.

The tins I'm thinking of aren't like this, they are square but with a circular hole on the top with a close-fitting lid.

Ivor,

I vaguely remember seeing that type, the round lid is similar to a paint can, am I right? Also, looking at a website with historical information on Huntley & Palmers, they state that the army biscuit tins in WW2 were green, no picture though.

Edited by Richard Farrant
additional info

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. Richard has got the correct thing in mind. They aren't flimsies. I should have posted these photos earlier because they show just what I'm referring to. Both are on the front of Shermans in Europe. Many photos taken in Italy show similar tins festooning vehicles there.

Tin 1.jpg

Tin 2.jpg

This info is a bit early as it comes from an ASC manual, but I doubt that over the years that the development of biscuit containers was a high military priority. There were two sizes of biscuit tins.

Biscuits, (50 lbs.), 1 canister (in case) Weight gross 70 1/2 lbs. cubical measurement of case 2 ft 6 ins

Biscuits, (30 lbs.), 1 canister (in case) Weight gross 46 1/2 lbs. cubical measurement of case 1 ft 10 ins

Here's a case for the 50 lbs canister, although it doesn't look very cubic.

App0767a.jpg

PS That was from an ASC manual dated 1903, looking at a RASC manual 1937 there is not much change. It gives examples of payloads:

Biscuits, service, 50-lb cases, weight of package 79 lb.

85 can be carried on Lorry, 3-ton

42 can be carried on Lorry,30-cwt

17 can be carried on Motor van, 12-cwt or truck, GS

Edited by fv1609

a verity of tin's shown in this photo American water can , flimsies ,biscuit tins and field made stoves .

Desert Air Base In Tunisia American Army Air Force fighter command soldiers working to complete their dugout shelter at air base in the desert during Allied Northa Africa campaign, WWII. Location: Tunisia Date taken: April 1943 Photographer: Margaret Bourke-White

NorthAfrica19432.jpg