a pig

fv1609

oooooooooooooooo!!!!

looking on the Forum you mention, the MK1 humber pig that they state should not be a flying and indeed a mock up, i reconise her! thats mine!

30 BK 43! even has the same battle damage! i can see her outside now hehe

one thing that i do find odd?

mine was sold from the dealer to the previous owner that Clive knows, but he stated that he did not paint the vehilce? and when i aquired it , it has a triangle on the bonnet and Londonderry phone numbers on the doors?

Clive, do you have any more pics of this vehicle? as i would love them! anything with history of 30 BK 43 would be of interest,

Can anyone else help? pictures, history, i have the Tank museums small travel type card , but its not the most helpfull

Paul

Ah you have discovered MLU. I don't have any other pics of your pig I'm afraid.

As regards the mystery pig here. Its not a mystery to me, but I am just having a bit of fun & trying to stir up some interest. It was on MLU for a couple of weeks & nobody seemed to know nuffink about it so I put it up here. Now Richard has responded on MLU & so have you on here but Richard also frequents here so I don't want to give the game away, and I know you will go on MLU to see whats been said!

Paul you say its a Mk 1 do you mean a Mk 1 FV1611 like yours or a FV1609 like mine of which 10 were issued to the RUC in 1958? If this is an RUC would have been painted Light Admiralty Grey in 1962-63, then Rustoleum Green. The picture is 1969.

This is an Army FV1611, originally 13 BK 01 but modified for police service.

There were ten FV1609s issued to the RUC in late 1958. During 1960 they were all fitted with an armoured roof, loosely based on the FV1611. These pigs were in the sequence 2986 OI to 3001 OI.

In 1962 2986 OI was destroyed & replaced by this FV1611. Some modifications were made:

Windscreen visors with horizontal slits.

Strong wire mesh protection over windscreens.

Painted Light Admiralty Grey

Front & rear foglights

The characteristics that show it to be a FV1611 rather than a FV1609 are:

Rails on roof for canvas

Square not rounded headlight covers

Aerial base support is thicker

Fittings where wipers were fiited (on FV1609 they are inside)

Pistol ports are more substantial

Bridge plate

3071 EZ was fitted with an adjustable barricade ram & painted in Rustoleum Green. It always seemed to be the pig that was used in front line in preference to the other FV1609 based pigs of which some had barricade rams. Here it can be seen covered in paint & being petrol bombed.

RUCPig08a.jpg

A unique & interesting vehicle that then entered Army serice in 1971 with the registration 27 BT 91 and was struck off census again in 1980. You can see some of the differences if you look at mine below.