More Jeeps

Nick Johns

Quite possibly Nick. The tyre shortage was accute for some while following D Day. These old warriors all look like they are awaiting repair, so no doubt wheels were liberated for further service.

Some information gleaned from 'The Road To Victory' by David P. Colley -

1) An interesting statistic on tyres - in early October 1944 the US in Europe were short of 180,236 tyres, yet less than 50,000 were immediately available in the UK and the continent.

2) By November 1944 more than 15,000 broken down trucks in ETO were awaiting repairs. By January 1945 some 33,000 trucks (mainly jimmies no doubt) were out of service, with an estimate that a further 35,000 would be sidelined by March 1945.

Very true about tyres. The vehicles were stockpiled for lack of them. most US kit was shipped on small austerity tyres, and no spare. The unit that got them was expected to get tyres. Notice pictures of things like Carryalls used exclusivly in the States always have small tyres compared to vehicles in Europe.

Very true about tyres. The vehicles were stockpiled for lack of them. most US kit was shipped on small austerity tyres, and no spare. The unit that got them was expected to get tyres. Notice pictures of things like Carryalls used exclusivly in the States always have small tyres compared to vehicles in Europe.
Tony,

Can you please elaborate on this? It is the first time I´ve heard US vehicles were shipped with "austerity" tyres. Would having a second, temporary set of tyres not increase the problem of rubber shortage?

Vehicles not in combat use were often fitted with tyres with regular treads instead of non-directional combat tyres, as they use less rubber to manufacture.

24figure2.jpg

Thanks,

Hanno

Tony,

Can you please elaborate on this? It is the first time I´ve heard US vehicles were shipped with "austerity" tyres. Would having a second, temporary set of tyres not increase the problem of rubber shortage?

Vehicles not in combat use were often fitted with tyres with regular treads instead of non-directional combat tyres, as they use less rubber to manufacture.

24figure2.jpg

Thanks,

Hanno

I'll try and find the pictures.

Been hunting through the Libary of congress site. Try loading Lend Lease into the search engine, all sorts of odd stuff. As far as tyres go, this link and subsequent pages should keep the rubber fetishish lot happy.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/b?pp/fsaall:LC-USW3-007093-D:collection=fsa

th only thing I can't find is the picture I'm looking for! :argh: