ypres solent yesterday

yesterday on the 90th aniversary of the end of the first world war i took part driving a coach tour around and managed to take a few photos of the places we stopped

the first ones are of the menin gate at 11 am and althought the last photo dosnt show them very well poppy flowers were dropped out of the roof of the menin gate

the entrance memorial at essex cemetary is the site that mccray wrote the poem (in flanders fields)

the next set of photos are of the german cemetary at newmark and you can see that the headstones are flat instead of standing up

final set of photos are at tyne cot cemetary which was the biggest of all the ypres cemetarys

dcp_1703.jpg

dcp_1704.jpg

dcp_1705.jpg

dcp_1706.jpg

start of the tour

dcp_1707.jpg

essex cemetary john mccrays aid station

dcp_1708.jpg

dcp_1709.jpg

dcp_1710.jpg

german graves

dcp_1711.jpg

grave of the youngest killed in ww1

dcp_1712.jpg

dcp_1713.jpg

two ives whose bodies were never found but listed on the walls of tyne cot

dcp_1714.jpg

dcp_1715.jpg

dcp_1716.jpg

dcp_1718.jpg

final pic of one of the stones at tyne cot

showing the saying

a soldier of the great war

known unto god

Nice one, Dave. Good call. I agree with Tony, totally jealous.

Essex Farm looks good in any weather and Langemark is a strange old place because of the way the Germans use oak trees as part of their remembrance. The statue of the four soldiers at the back of the cemetery is a very sad looking thing. Tyne Cot must have been crowded. I would still have liked to have been there. But being at the Menin Gate would have been wonderful.

Thanks a million for being there for us.

MB

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the pics, looks like the weather was dreadful but from my own visits to the Ypres Salient, I know it does bring a certain reality to the situation, you can appreciate just how awful it must have been 90 years ago, if you don't believe, try walking across a farmers field after heavy rain and you'll soon have two balls of mud the size of footballs hanging off your boots.

John B.