Remember...........NEVER FORGET.

LeeEnfield

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for the children,

England mourns for her dead across the sea.

Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,

Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill:

august and royal

Sings sorrow up into

immortal spheres.

There is music in the midst

of desolation

And a glory that shines

upon our tears.

They went with songs to battle,

they were young,

Straight of limb, true of eye,

They were staunch to the end

against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall not grow old, as we

that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them,

nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun

and in the morning

We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing

comrades again;

They sit no more at familiar tables

at home;

They have no lot in our lobour

of the day time;

They sleep beyond Englands foam.

But where our desires are and our

hopes profound,

Felt as a well spring that is hidden

from sight,

To the innermost heart of their own

land they are known

As the stars are known to the night.

As the stars that shall be bright when

we are dust,

Moving in marches upon the

heavenly plain,

As the stars that are starry in the

time of our darkness........

.........to the end, to the end, they remain.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Thanks for that, I have never read it all the way through before, its beautiful.

I stood silent for 2 mins by standing in the corner of the playground, sadly it was difficult to ask the 2, 3 and 4 year olds to do the same, lets hope as they grow older they learn to. Although I dont hold out much hope:(, my youngest (6 yrs old and in infant school) stood for a minute in the playground after playtime, but my eldest (9yrs old and in junior school) did nothing :argh: he didnt even come home with a poppy :(. Today I applied for them to have time off next year for a week when we go to Normandy....................watch this space.

In defence of the younger generation. i was at a WW2 cemetery with some vetrans. It was a hot summer days and we were observing a 2 minute silence. There were some kids of about 6 to 8 playing amongst the stones. Someone went over to quieten them. One of the Vetran's said 'No leave them. The guy's died so they could laugh'.

If you are over for Normandy, for 6th June , drop in at Ver Sur mer.

My brother and I went to the war memorial in town today and observed the ceremony. At the stroke of 11 the whole world seemed to stop... I've never seen it so quiet in all the years I've been going ... so moving. Traffic stopped, tills stopped, shop radios went off, passers by who obviously weren't there to observe stopped, everything seemed to take a breath and reflect. The rain lashed harder and the wind blew stronger...

the silence was deafening.

What an incredibly powerful and beautiful sentiment that 2 minutes silence is...

We were told at work today that we could observe 2 minutes silence if we wanted to. (Political correctness again.) Everybody to a man and woman did. No phones rang all machines stopped. Silence. A time to stop and think.

Thank you Lee Enfield. That was perfect.

When we stood in silence in the cold wind and heavy cloud on Sunday at the Cenotaph in Wednesbury at 11am the Sun suddenly shone onto it for those few minutes. It was a strange moment.

Every year more and more people attend this service in Wednesbury and every year the generosity of the people of Wednesbury never failes to amaze those of us who collect for the RBL Poppy Appeal.

Thank you to all of them.

Phil.

I can tell you that Transport for London do one thing right, they always broadcast the start and finish of the two minute silence, if safe!!! All buses pull over and switch off engine. Last year one old woman on my vehicle insisted on talking all through ity. the other old ddears on board gave her absolute hell afterwards.

Thanks for that, I have never read it all the way through before, its beautiful.

I stood silent for 2 mins by standing in the corner of the playground, sadly it was difficult to ask the 2, 3 and 4 year olds to do the same, lets hope as they grow older they learn to. Although I dont hold out much hope:(, my youngest (6 yrs old and in infant school) stood for a minute in the playground after playtime, but my eldest (9yrs old and in junior school) did nothing :argh: he didnt even come home with a poppy :(. Today I applied for them to have time off next year for a week when we go to Normandy....................watch this space.

OK I take it all back! The head misstress pulled me to one side and said that Jack (my eldest) would be given permission to have a week of school next year :) and she also said that she hoped we will all have a great time and is will wait to hear all about it when he gets back! I did ask her why they hadn't talked about it in school and why poppies were not available, her answer was- we did and they were :shocked: so I will ask what Jack was doing when they were talking about poppy day and why he didnt buy one later!!!!!!!!

On sunday (9/11/08) whilst at war memoral, I found it amazing to see folk of the 'older generation',......NOT being ageist,..these folks looked to be late 60's, early 70's in years,......TOTALLY Ignoring what was going on,.........including observing the silence. :confused:

Whilst I'll be the first to agree that freedom of choice has been a hard won privilige,and folk do have the right to choose to observe the moment,- or not,.....to see younger folk standing silent did make me wonder;

Had the day off yeaterday, 11th,........almost EVERYBODY stopped in Hailsham high street at 11am. :)

Did anyone else think there were loads more people wearing poppys, this year ??

Hey, Jack,................is there room for a war poetry section ??

Andy

even arsenal football club are supporting RBL and help for heros

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/remembrance-poppy-shirts-go-up-for-auction

Easy Company Living History Group, of which I'm a member,are supporting Help For Hero's, next year. :)

Edited by LeeEnfield
additional comment

OK I take it all back! The head misstress pulled me to one side and said that Jack (my eldest) would be given permission to have a week of school next year :) and she also said that she hoped we will all have a great time and is will wait to hear all about it when he gets back! I did ask her why they hadn't talked about it in school and why poppies were not available, her answer was- we did and they were :shocked: so I will ask what Jack was doing when they were talking about poppy day and why he didnt buy one later!!!!!!!!

The kid is SO busted :D

Jack will have a lot of stories next year that the other kids will learn and hear about (kids always seem to listen more to other kids than "grownups" :D) Great stuff!!!

PS: Please be sure to not only click on the video (the original song video)

but also on the "Music Drama" link, for the inpiration behind his song,

and listen to the story, as well as seeing/hearing what else that song/video

inspired ... Terry Kelly ... has started something great!

These are all interesting points.

I think we under 50s (six months to go :whistle:) always assume that many people in their mid to late sixties and onwards would automatically wear a poppy, but this is plainly not so. It seems that when we were kids in the sixties that everyone wore a poppy in those days when they had no green leafs and still had Haig Fund written on them. Time marches on.

Stopped traffic and notices on the puiblic transport system are to be commended. More please.

As for poetry - do you mean new original work or reproducing classics, or both? I think it would have to stay in other stuff and there is the ever present need to ackowledge copyright. But it would be nice to see something that rhymes (or not).

As for poetry - do you mean new original work or reproducing classics, or both? I think it would have to stay in other stuff and there is the ever present need to ackowledge copyright. But it would be nice to see something that rhymes (or not).

I was thinking of either,.......acknowledged wherever possible. How many of us have heard part's of poems, relevant to the ' military' theme;.............a case in point, being the poem I posted at top of page,........sure, I'd heard SOME of it before,...but not all of it. :)

Some of the stuff written regarding WW1 is amazing.

Just an idea......:idea:

Andy

PS: Please be sure to not only click on the video (the original song video)

but also on the "Music Drama" link, for the inpiration behind his song,

and listen to the story, as well as seeing/hearing what else that song/video

inspired ... Terry Kelly ... has started something great!

:cry:

This year in Wednesbury for the first time that I can remember the Police closed the parade route from the RBL club to the Cenotaph from 10-45 when the parade set off until 11-30 when everybody had returned. Normally when we arrive at the Cenotaph the traffic is allowed to drive past on the main road and then it is stopped again for us to return.. The Cenotaph is in it's own large memorial garden. This year all traffic was diverted. It was very much appreciated by all who attended the service. Over twenty wreaths were laid including one from the local fire station for the American fire fighters who died in 9/11 and one from the Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT for all those who served.

We are hoping to help the RBl Wednesbury Branch raise £60,000-00 to do renovation work on the Cenotaph and gardens with a show of MV's in the town in early May 2009. We would like to have a WWI tank a Matilda and a Valentine tank on display all of which were built in the town by Metro Cammell at it's Old Park Works where I was an apprentice.

Phil P

I was thinking of either,.......acknowledged wherever possible. How many of us have heard part's of poems, relevant to the ' military' theme;.............a case in point, being the poem I posted at top of page,........sure, I'd heard SOME of it before,...but not all of it. :)

Some of the stuff written regarding WW1 is amazing.

Just an idea......:idea:

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think this is a nice idea - and something to work on; but I know for certain we can't spare a board for it at the moment and it will have to stay in Other Stuff. Why not start populating a string with your favourite bits of poetry and see how things pan out? It's something different from spanners and worthy of a bit of group effort. These ongoing items, like the galleries and the stuff I occasionally play with are long running themes thru the life of the forum and we need to keep them going.

Ta,

MB

:) Cheers for the encouragment, Mark.

heres a couple to be starting with.........

In Remembrance.......

Time after time, I hear their ringing laughter,

As soft and clear it echo's down the years,

A song for living happy ever after,

A sound to fill a lifetime full of tears.

Oh, they were told they fought the fight for freedom,

And willingly they marched away to die,

Or kill a lad from some strange, foreign villiage,

And did they ever ask the reason why ?

And all I see are names upon a tablet,

With poppies placed before it, now and again,

And who is left to feel the ache of longing

To see a face, they'll never see again ?....

Is any cause worth all the hate and anguish,

And was their sacrifice made in vain ?

May we guard well the freedom that they left us,

If freedom can be brought with somuch pain.

Marion Layberry.

( at first reading this seems like an anti war verse, but IMO I now see it as a lament, from those left behind)

Song -Books of the War.

In fifty years, when peace outshines

Remembrance of the battle lines,

Adventurous lads will sigh and cast

Proud looks upon the plundered past.

On summer morn or winters night,

Their hearts will kindle for the fight,

Reading a snatch of soldier-song,

Savage and jaunty, fierce and strong;

And through the angry marching rhymes

Of blind regret anf haggard mirth,

They'll envy us the dazzling times

When sacrifice absolved our earth.

Some ancient man with silver locks

Will lift his weary face to say:

" War was a fiend who stopped our clocks

Although we met him grim and gay."

And then he'll speak of Haig's last drive,

Marvelling that any came alive

Out of the shambles that men built

And smashed, to cleanse the world of guilt.

But the boys, with grim and sidelong glance,

Will think, " Poor grandad's day is done."

And dream of lads who fought in France

And lived in time to share the fun.

Siegfried Sassoon.

As I've already said, I feel the medium of poetry, a powerfull and, at times much maligned, form of expression, carries far more emotive 'power', than conventional written words.

Andy