Where was i today

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

When i saw this scammell it stopped me dead.

I joined the Metropoliton Water Board to expand my knowledge

as they worked on everything from gas turbine generators to gang mowers.My first job on my first day was on the scammell.

Everyone had a go at it,it had a severe brake pull,it had new shoes drums cylinders etc.I had spent a year training on a heavy vehicle and plant course.so with the instructors words still ringing in my ears(look for the simplist things first)off i go and check the spring bolts.Straight away on giving them the wheel tappers test it was obvious they werent as tight as they could be.I couldnt shift the nuts so a bit of heat was used and once they had been backed off they went up a treat.I thought this isnt going to go down well,being a new mush,with the others,so Bruce the driver goes out on rd test.He is a huge bloke ex fairground beard the lot.Comes back alls perfect.i say dont make a fuss and he winks.Half hour later at tea brake he comes in declares there all a bunch of tossers and worst.

Declares Catweazle is king.Thats where the name started.I didnt know where to hide.

Anyway this is not the one but a dead ringer,it was rescued from the yard of a fairground owner ,he had lenghthend the chassis to take a generator.

It has since been shortened and now looks just as it would of done,but it did give me a turn when i saw it.

KemptomSteam006.jpg

My punishment for being a smart arse ,they drilled a hole im my tin mug.

Bruce found out who had done it.Tied him in his chair.lifted him and the chair together walked to a l/rover pick up put him in the back and drove round the resivoir and dumped him on the otherside it is 3miles around that resivoir.left him there for the rest of the day.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a minder like that I assume nobody dared mess with you again.:-D

They didnt mate ,but they turned out a great bunch,we had some great times during the drought,remember that,the resivoir i spoke of was empty.

people dont know how close we came to a real disaster.

They didnt mate ,but they turned out a great bunch,we had some great times during the drought,remember that,the resivoir i spoke of was empty.

people dont know how close we came to a real disaster.

Yes, on the farm springs dried up that never had done in living memory and in following years a lot of hedges died. The 'experts' said one wet winter would put things right but they were wrong as usual, once the water table has been affected things are never the same again.

Yes, on the farm springs dried up that never had done in living memory and in following years a lot of hedges died. The 'experts' said one wet winter would put things right but they were wrong as usual, once the water table has been affected things are never the same again.

Thats right mate,the Thames above Teddington was getting so low we hitched up the War time Generators 8 cyl listers on about 24 wheels and towed them with the scammell to teddington,There were two of them.

We craned them on to Barges and they drove huge water pumps as fast as the water came over the weir they chucked it back.Sounds daft but it helped to keep the table up.Dunkirk spirit,no tachos,no log sheets,we just worked or slept,all drivers were exempt restrictions,National emergency :cool2:

When i saw this scammell it stopped me dead.

I joined the Metropoliton Water Board to expand my knowledge

as they worked on everything from gas turbine generators to gang mowers.My first job on my first day was on the scammell.

Everyone had a go at it,it had a severe brake pull,it had new shoes drums cylinders etc.I had spent a year training on a heavy vehicle and plant course.so with the instructors words still ringing in my ears(look for the simplist things first)off i go and check the spring bolts.Straight away on giving them the wheel tappers test it was obvious they werent as tight as they could be.I couldnt shift the nuts so a bit of heat was used and once they had been backed off they went up a treat.I thought this isnt going to go down well,being a new mush,with the others,so Bruce the driver goes out on rd test.He is a huge bloke ex fairground beard the lot.Comes back alls perfect.i say dont make a fuss and he winks.Half hour later at tea brake he comes in declares there all a bunch of tossers and worst.

Declares Catweazle is king.Thats where the name started.I didnt know where to hide.

Anyway this is not the one but a dead ringer,it was rescued from the yard of a fairground owner ,he had lenghthend the chassis to take a generator.

It has since been shortened and now looks just as it would of done,but it did give me a turn when i saw it.

KemptomSteam006.jpg

My punishment for being a smart arse ,they drilled a hole im my tin mug.

Bruce found out who had done it.Tied him in his chair.lifted him and the chair together walked to a l/rover pick up put him in the back and drove round the resivoir and dumped him on the otherside it is 3miles around that resivoir.left him there for the rest of the day.

is that the model of scammel with the fibreglass cab?

it wasnt too bad for a shot in the dark was it

:tup:: cant help with the cab,but tons of people on here will know.Stand by incoming.:-D

Thats right mate,the Thames above Teddington was getting so low we hitched up the War time Generators 8 cyl listers on about 24 wheels and towed them with the scammell to teddington,There were two of them.

We craned them on to Barges and they drove huge water pumps as fast as the water came over the weir they chucked it back.Sounds daft but it helped to keep the table up.Dunkirk spirit,no tachos,no log sheets,we just worked or slept,all drivers were exempt restrictions,National emergency :cool2:

We had exemption letters issued to us whilst carrying road salt from Winsford in a severe winter, no specific details on the letters so we used them for years,almost got away with murder:-D

It was in steam Bernard,thats why we went ,only about 7 times a year.

Great bunch of people all seniors,we had a one hour tour of the static engine as there are two of them.In todays money the pair would of cost 3 million quidIts in steam next month for one wk end then not again for a few months.:-D

I really must get to see them, on my to do list now, thanks CW

KemptomSteam018.jpg

This is the barring engine,there are two for starting.

They are 2 cyl steam engines,to watch them turning a 30 ton crank and two 30 ton flywheels is something else.

You refering to the purple Scammell? Looks like a Meadows to me.

Thats the one mate,wasnt sure as i have never seen one before.cheers.

KemptomSteam009.jpg

KemptomSteam002.jpg

KemptomSteam008.jpg

what engine is this meadows diesel?

CW any chance you photographed the big green Scammell towing the purple one ? Not sure about the engine ! Looks different from the Diesel Meadows I've seen in an Explorer but I will bow to superior knowledge as I'm only guessing ! :-D On second thoughts the block is very similar to my petrol Meadows so it could well be !!!!:sweat::-D

DSC02938.jpg

KemptomSteam008.jpg

Edited by AndyFowler

Not sure about the engine ! Looks different from the Diesel Meadows I've seen in an Explorer but I will bow to superior knowledge as I'm only guessing ! :-D

Andy,

I am going on my recollections of working on Meadows diesels, and the rocker cover looks the same.......but on looking at the left hand photo, I assume that is one of yours (?), the cover is the same, but engine looks shorter. Is it possible that one is a different model / size engine? :confused:

And wasn't the Scammell Meadows petrol a development of the Meadows diesel, so should have a large commonality of parts :)

Absolutely correct, rumour has it that the petrol heads were designed on the back of a fag packet down the local pub one Friday lunchtime.:shake:

The one in the Highwayman is a 6DC630, there were many variations in ancillaries depending on the vehicle they were destined for, many ending up in Guy chassis which were built just down the road in Wolverhampton.

http://www.geocities.com/britishtrucks/Meadows6DC630pic.jpg

KemptomSteam008.jpg

what engine is this meadows diesel?

See he likes his fuel to match the colour of his paintwork. :rofl:

Looks like meadows diesel, from the block and heads but obviously different injector pump, inlet manifold and compressor to the green one posted by Andy.