Crossley ? ID

79x100

Can anyone confirm this vehicle ? The Middlesex Registration dates from Aug. 1928 - Jun. 1929. The rad looks Crossley to me but I'm not certain.

krrcgx3.th.jpg

The photo must date from the 1930s and shows members of the King's Royal Rifle Corps. My Dad's brother George is seated left in the second row. He had almost finished his reserve service in 1940 but ended up in Calais and spent the war in a prison camp.

Definitely a Crossley - a "BGV" model or "British General Vehicle". A rare photo.

Ah...you mean that I should have put 'copyright' all over it ?

Thus encouraged, any idea about the sheeted-over tracked vehicles in the same sequence ?

scannen0020wi6.th.jpg

and a close-up view :-

scannen0021ll7.th.jpg

I stick with Carden-Loyd - The bulge at the front covering the differential is distinctive and I think only appeared on the Mk VI version, which was introduced into service as the standard machine gun carrier during the latter part of 1928. Dragons (a corruption of "drag gun") came in 'light' and 'medium' variants, both of which were larger than the Carden-Loyd machines.

Carden-Loyd carriers were designed by Carden-Loyd Tractors Ltd and powered by Ford model T engines. By the time of the Mk VI they were being built by Vickers-Armstrong Ltd, who had absorbed Carden-Loyd. Some were also built under licence in other countries.

These look like patrol tanks - a turreted development of the Carden-Loyd machine gun carrier MkVI. Two versions were built in 1932. The first was equipped with the normal leaf-spring carrier suspension, the second on double helical springs (like later universal carriers and light tanks). Sold to Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Portugal. Crew of 2. Powered by Meadows 6-cylinder 40hp engine.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
These look like patrol tanks - a turreted development of the Carden-Loyd machine gun carrier MkVI. Two versions were built in 1932. The first was equipped with the normal leaf-spring carrier suspension, the second on double helical springs (like later universal carriers and light tanks). Sold to Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Portugal. Crew of 2. Powered by Meadows 6-cylinder 40hp engine.

:tup:: cheers .cw.