New exhibits at the tank museum...

Jack

Nice to see the Vixen on display rather than a back shed, they really shouldn't have cancelled that project.

Chris

Hear hear. Stood just inside Cambrai Barracks, Catterick in late 1975, our squad watched this vehicle come down the main road from the tank park and pass just the other side of the barrier.

"Take a good look," said our Corporal. "That's a Vixen. You'll never see another one of them: the project has been cancelled." They kept one on at Catterick because it was a better Fox driver trainer than a Fox.

First time I stagged on (doing a two hour tour of guard duty) over at the tank park, we were straight into the hangars. They were supposed to locked at night, but if we bubbled the person to blame, we'd have nowhere to get out of the cold North Yorkshire Moors autumn gales.

I cannot believe when I first discovered the Army Rumour Service website a couple of years ago, they were STILL only just firming up on a replacement for the Ferret. Vixen ticked all the boxes.

I suppose when you have a Cold War to fight and four armoured divisions to supply, you have to make cuts somewhere. I wonder what the excuse is for fighting two HOT wars with about 1/4 the field strength and STILL cutting back?

Grrr.

It's a female Fox. i.e. with just a machine gun and without a main gun (like Great War Tanks). Was to replace Ferret with CVR(W) technology including warmth and cover and I'd like to think a boiling vessel (these three were the most important for the crews), NBC pack (I think - cannot imagine where they'd pack the NBC pack) and flotation (see pic)

Snapper,

Like Alien says it's a liason version of the Fox, much like a Mk 1 Ferret. The internal space was much larger as the 2 large external bins were omitted. It had 4 seats, driver, commander and 2 passengers. I have a good photo at home showing a Vixen and all the kit/crew which they managed to fit into it.

Chris

I see the new entrance is open now. We went just before it was complete and there were quite a few tanks crammed in around the dining area.

Did you get permission to publish the photographs?

Decent photographs seem hard to get with the lighting in there. The hall with the vixen and other amoured cars seemed the best lit.

Presume as you live close by you can take full advantage of your years membership. Can't see me getting down there again within the year.

The bit about omitting the side bins makes sense. I remember we climbed inside through a side hatch, but of course if there had been side bins, this would have had to come off to open the hatch.

There are no side hatches, just top hatches.

http://www.jedsite.info/afv-charlie/charlie/cvrw_series/vixen/vixen.html

Edited by sirhc

I am sure the official opening is scheduled for February. I expect to be invited as an alumnus of the RAC and a contributor to the funds.

Hang on I got "Tank Times" last week. Let's see what it has to say. Here you go, from the horse's mouth, dated September 2008.

ALMOST THERE!

A major milestone in The Tank Museum redevlopment project has been reached, with the completion of the building work on site.

The new tank arena was completed in time for Tankfest in June 2008, and spectators were treated to vastly improved views of arena eventss; with banked viewing areas and a new sound system improving the quality of in-show commentary.

The new 5000 square metre display hall, with new reception, gift shop, visitor facilities and restaurant was completed in late August, and the exhibition fit-out commenced almost immediately.

"There is still four months of hard work ahead of us until we can open the new hall to the public," said Museum Director Richard Smith. "But we are still time and on budget - and this represents a magnificent achievement on behalf of our main contractors Norwest Holst."

"We are now planning a spectacular launch event for Saturday 4th April 2009," he added.

Preparations are underway to move the thirty or so tanks that will form the basis of the new exhibition from their existing locations in the present Museum halls. Only then can the process of installing the exhibition hardware begin in earnest.

But this is no simple task, as Richard explains: "Many of the vehicles we will be transporting have not been moved at all for at least 25 years. Like all mechanical objects we are not 100% sure of the condition they are in or what problems we might encounter in manoeuvring them.

"Some will run under their own power, many will have to be towed, but they must all be treated with the upmost (sic) care as even though they are tanks - and built for warfare - they are now all historical relics of varying fragility. Cutting corners is not an option and every movement has to be planned in the smallest detail."

I see the new entrance is open now. We went just before it was complete and there were quite a few tanks crammed in around the dining area.

Did you get permission to publish the photographs?

Decent photographs seem hard to get with the lighting in there. The hall with the vixen and other amoured cars seemed the best lit.

Presume as you live close by you can take full advantage of your years membership. Can't see me getting down there again within the year.

I have a load of photos from my visit in July, when I asked if I could post them on my fotopic site, all I got was a very emphatic !NO!!!"

Mark