British Army vehicle pennants

Deuceman

I really ought to be certain on this answer, but I only BELIEVE they are Royal Armoured Corps colours. Which, let's face it, is hardly surprising. ISTR that everything at the RAC Centre, Bovington carries this badge.

We didn't need these in the field. We used:

Red: indicates a vehicle (on the ranges) is at Action i.e. firing, about to fire or not yet guns clear after firing.

Yellow: on the ranges, indicates a misfire. After going through various immediate actions, having failed to clear the misfire, the commander will order, "MISFIRE WAIT 15 MINUTES." (On a 76mm main armament misfire: it varies.)

Green: on the ranges, indicates that the guns are clear and the vehicle is safe. One or other (ISTR there is a combination to indicate a stoppage on the MG) of these flags IS to be flown at all times while on the firing point.

Green and Blue: on the road, they two flags indicate lead and tail vehicle in a packet (but I cannot remember which is lead vehicle and which is tail). During road moves, packets normally consist of five to eight vehicles, though a troop of four is also a logical packet. More than eight vehicles will be split into two packets. Ideally at least the lead and tail vehicles will be in radio contact with each other and the convoy commander to maintain spacing between vehicles and to ensure a gap between packets to allow other traffic to pass.

I really ought to be certain on this answer, but I only BELIEVE they are Royal Armoured Corps colours. Which, let's face it, is hardly surprising. ISTR that everything at the RAC Centre, Bovington carries this badge.

We didn't need these in the field. We used:

Red: indicates a vehicle (on the ranges) is at Action i.e. firing, about to fire or not yet guns clear after firing.

Yellow: on the ranges, indicates a misfire. After going through various immediate actions, having failed to clear the misfire, the commander will order, "MISFIRE WAIT 15 MINUTES." (On a 76mm main armament misfire: it varies.)

Green: on the ranges, indicates that the guns are clear and the vehicle is safe. One or other (ISTR there is a combination to indicate a stoppage on the MG) of these flags IS to be flown at all times while on the firing point.

Green and Blue: on the road, they two flags indicate lead and tail vehicle in a packet (but I cannot remember which is lead vehicle and which is tail). During road moves, packets normally consist of five to eight vehicles, though a troop of four is also a logical packet. More than eight vehicles will be split into two packets. Ideally at least the lead and tail vehicles will be in radio contact with each other and the convoy commander to maintain spacing between vehicles and to ensure a gap between packets to allow other traffic to pass.

Whilst on the road Red would indicate the vehicle is carrying an unpleasant load (i.e. one that will go bang if provoked) whilst Yellow indicates a broken-down vehicle awaiting either LAD attention or recovery. :)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Bought two of these a few years back at a boot sale.Can someone please advise exactly what they are?Thanks,Neil

Just the job for a Stolly,its the letter O man overboard.