Reversed directional tyres on the front, why?

gritineye

British MVs with driven front wheels often had the directional tractor or similar type of tyres fitted the wrong way round, why was this?

Various answers I have had is to stop the tread 'scooping', to aid reversing in mud, or helps braking.

Anyone know the correct answer please?

IE text from a manual, or even personally ordered to do it!

wot o bernard,

on agricultural machines ie- wheel driven dung spreaders the tractor tread tyres are reversed for traction, if they are fitted the same as the tractor when working they skid and loose traction, so maybe it helps the steering when not in 4 or 6 wheel drive on army lorries

regards

wot o bernard,

on agricultural machines ie- wheel driven dung spreaders the tractor tread tyres are reversed for traction, if they are fitted the same as the tractor when working they skid and loose traction, so maybe it helps the steering when not in 4 or 6 wheel drive on army lorries

regards

I'd noticed that but didn't connect the two things Graham, good theory, it would help braking off road as the front does most work.

On my K9 its not just the tyres that were switched but the rear wheels fitted other way round so as to widen the rear track slightly & increase stability + extra traction as the rear set are not exactly following same path if in a muddy rut.

you will normally find the rear axle is narrower than the front, hense the reversed wheel dishes, the front axle is wider to account for steering, hense wheel dishes turned in to keep same track width

regards

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

When i was working for thames water the 3ton dump trucks working in the filter beds (soft sand) had one set reversed ,to aid traction i was told,they mainly went in straight lines .The distance covered was equal both ways.Reversed tyres on some surfaces especially tarmac caused slippage,faster wear rate,and open tread splitting /cracking.tyre pressures were very important we found.i have heard that vehicles working on grass benifit from one set reversed.but have no evidence of it.i do have a picture of a Royal alighting from an 80 inch landrover,this has large directional tyres and one set is reversed,and is on grass.i will see if i can find it.