GREMLINS! dissertation for the 1000 club exam

N.O.S.

I learnt last week, from a guy who spent his post WW2 US Navy career being launched (in fighters) from catapaults off carriers, the reason why he always carried postage stamps in his cockpit.......:confused:

Gremlins of course. He has a first edition of "The Gremlns" published in 1942 by Walt Disney and written by Roald Dahl. This blows the lid on the mystery surrounding those mischievous ceatures who get into aircraft and cause havoc when least expected.

The pilot told me that they are thought to have originally inhabited the woodlands of England along with elves, pixies etc. When woodland was cleared for the construction of airfields during WW1 and later, those who lost their homes would hide on aircraft and then create their particular mischief once anyone got airborne.

This is of course how they came to populate the clouds, they would then simply step from cloud to wing tip of an unfortunate passing flyer who might then, if he upset the gremlins, begin to experience problems.

For example, a Gremlin might walk slowly down the top of fuselage to the tail and cause the pilot to adjust trim, then suddenly rush to the front and cause the plane to nose dive. The same procedure on take-off or landing has been the cause of many a bent propeller, if not worse.

Some foolish bomber gunners would take pity on them clinging to the outside, and invite them into their turrets to warm up. But once on board all sorts of mayhem would ensue. Gremlins are only visible to aircrew.

And if you thought all small holes were caused by flak, once you have seen the drawing (by Disney's artists) of a Gremlin drilling a neat hole in a wing with a bit and brace you will understand the real cause.

It is generally considered that if you fly sensibly and carefully, the Gremlins will leave you alone. But if you fly like an idiot or abuse your plane, then they will go all out to get you.

So why postage stamps? According to the pilot I met, they are a favourite food of the Gremlins, so sensible pilots will always carry a goodly supply of same in the hope that an occasional ofering will keep them friendly.

Roald Dahl had spent the early part of WW2 in the RAF and had become acquainted with Gremlins folklore. After a bad crash his flying career was over and he was posted as an attache to America. He wrote a childrens story based on the Gremlins folklore which came to the atention of Walt Disney - who was keen to turn it into a film (some pre-production work had already started). The problem was Dahl claimed ownership of the concept (at this time Disney would not touch anything they could not could not secure the rights to), but Disney's staff discovered that Gremlins had been a topic of discussion in RAF messrooms going back to the early 1920s, and early sightings were also claimed.

I found this pilot so plausible that I googled Gremlins when I got home - and he is right! For a good summary see an extract from the RAF Journal of April 1942 - www.angelfire.com/id/100sqn/gremlins.html

So in the end the film never got made, although the attention was enough to secure widespread public awareness of Gremlins - which lead to the 1984 film (these are a different family, but the condept is there...).

But hey Walt, it's never too late........please?

Thank you NOS...

Members of the board were particularly impressed by your choice of subject matter and use of cross reference materiel. Worthy of mention also was the lavish illustrations and canvas bound gold leaf embossed cover. Although you're open admission to sourcing material from the internet is usually frowned upon by the brotherhood, we feel in this instance that the waiving of this rule is acceptable and a most respectable B+ mark is awarded. Your robes will be on your named hook in the private changing room and please note the shoe buffer is not for polishing brass fittings.

Should electrical items begin to behave erratically however, it will be your responsability to ensure that they are free from infestation... apart from the toaster... we know about that one!

Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters Side 1 Track Eight Song 4 by Bob Calvert

THE GREMLIN

I focused the magnifying glass

that brought the downfall of Icarus.

Balloons were easy; a simple pin.

Or a knife in the case of the zeppelin.

That blade was the cause of many a prang

in the early days of stick and string.

I am the gremlin. I was there.

Making mischief in the air

and always will be wherever man

flies in the face of Creation's plan.

Side 2 Track Seven Song 4 THE GREMLIN (Part Two)

Death to engines in the air

chaos take the human wing

death to jet and turbo prop

death to stick and death to string

ruin to the fuselage

destruction to the aerolon

death to the pilot and his breed

whose daring still goes on and on

no mercy for the rudder bar

no mercy for the tail plane

a singe for the handle-bar mustache

cremation for the bone-domed brain

death to rockets into space

chaos take the human egg

death to telescopic sight

death to radar and fire to flag

ruin to portholes filled with stars

destruction to the airlock's catch

death to the spaceman and his craft

its ugly landing legs despatch.

No mercy for the hot-air balloons

no mercy for the thread and kite

holes for the gliders canvas skin

cramp for the bird man at his height.

See http://www.starfarer.net/captlock.html

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
And presumably, when the Yank Aircraft left in large numbers, after the war, the Gremlins had to find another home. I reckon one has moved into my Antar, but not being an airman, I can see the little bu66er....

They have now moved onto the boat.:-D