WW2 Defences training structure

Possible WW2 Concrete anti tank defence training structure? near Bagshot, Surrey/Berkshire border, situated where it is it woulnt have been part of any operational defence system,

This is on Crown estate Land, the two white objects on the aerial photo are covered water resevoirs

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7696428

Edited by Nick Johns

Without checking the database records and I have to confess as to not knowing the area so will accept I could be wrong: but looking at the info on the linked posting it does seem to suggest it may be part of a 'stop line'. I do know there are other anti-tank ditches listed in Surrey but dont know their location in relation to these. They are in good nick though!

Without checking the database records and I have to confess as to not knowing the area so will accept I could be wrong: but looking at the info on the linked posting it does seem to suggest it may be part of a 'stop line'. I do know there are other anti-tank ditches listed in Surrey but dont know their location in relation to these. They are in good nick though!

I know of most of the "stop line" defences in the area, this is in the middle of nowhere, right on surrey/berks border in the centre of a former military training ground

Edited by Nick Johns

I've an idea it may be a simulation of beach wall defences,.....think I remember reading something about these, a while ago, on another forum;.......troops practiced breeching them, in various ways;.......If I'm thinking straight, I believe there is a similar structure in scotland.

have a look at www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART22136.html

Andy

I've an idea it may be a simulation of beach wall defences,.....think I remember reading something about these, a while ago, on another forum;.......troops practiced breeching them, in various ways;.....

Andy

This is what I said in the opening thread, there is the replica Normandy sea wall on nearby Hankley common http://www.thetimechamber.co.uk/Sites/Military/AtlanticWall/AtlanticWall.php Edited by Nick Johns

I know of most of the "stop line" defences in the area, this is in the middle of nowhere, right on surrey/berks border in the centre of a former military training ground

Fair enough, given the training ground context I reckon you are probably spot on then in your interpretation. With reference to the second site do you think it is likely they were linked in any way from a training operational point of view? Are they that close? Do you know if the site has the same 'recognised' status as Hankley or are there any plans to try and gain it in order to protect it? Good of you to post the info - always interesting to pick up on these things in other areas.

Fair enough, given the training ground context I reckon you are probably spot on then in your interpretation. With reference to the second site do you think it is likely they were linked in any way from a training operational point of view? Are they that close? Do you know if the site has the same 'recognised' status as Hankley or are there any plans to try and gain it in order to protect it? Good of you to post the info - always interesting to pick up on these things in other areas.

This site is 15 - 20 miles from the Hankley site, I don't think its recognised or even known about, I used to live nearby and thought I knew all the installations, but was not aware of this, never seen any reference to it, the land its on is Crown estate property, access on foot or bicycle is I believe ok

Edited by Nick Johns

• 2 years later...

All, thanks for the replies, I was the person who took the picture that you see on panoramio. It's long been bugging me what this was, as I could find no references to it in any lists of pillboxes, bunkers or stop lines. It's proximity to Sandhurst had made me think that it might be a training area of some kind. For those who want to inspect the site themselves, yes it it is open to the public, infact the whole of the Crown Estate is open to walkers and cyclists, though few people venture out this far. Parking is at the 'Look Out' on Nine Mile Ride, B3430