Rare FWD

Nick Johns

This very rare 1943 FWD was making its first show appearance at the GD steam fair, only 800 examples were built and supplied under lend lease for British and Canadian forces, hence RHD, this truck was bought in auction in 1947 by a West country sawmills and was used for timber hauling and winching till the 1960's, it lay derelect untill 10 years ago and has been restored by members of same family who bought it in '47, they also have three forward control SU-COE FWD's and are restoring one.

The serial number on the bonnet is its original wartime number,

general pics 231 (2).jpg

general pics 232 (2).jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

If this vehicle is based in Wiltshire I verified it for the MVT when it was first registered.

Is the body new or a converted GMC or similar?

It still has its original reg. number issued in 1947, the original steel back body was too far gone so a it has a new wooden replica

This is a superb bit of historical kit and even more amazing when you considering that the team who restored it are now mid 70's and mid 80's respectively, the older guy being the one who actually bought it at the army auction in 1947. He told me that he had been driving this truck for over 60 years, less the years it stood semi derelict.

They intend to turn the SU-COE round in less than the ten years the FWD took, so that they can both see the project through!! That was what they told me anyway!!!

I am sure they said that they built or rebuilt the body and that the vehicle was used for searchlight towing.

This is a superb bit of historical kit and even more amazing when you considering that the team who restored it are now mid 70's and mid 80's respectively, the older guy being the one who actually bought it at the army auction in 1947.

They intend to turn the SU-COE round in less than the ten years the FWD took, so that they can both see the project through!! That was what they told me anyway!!!

Now that is an example to all of us, me included, who sometimes can't really be bothered, more power to them! :bow: