Knock knock WOT2

Stefano

Hello there one and all,

I've got a problem with my WOT2 and I'm throwing it open to you clever chaps. It's a bit difficult to explain in writing but basically at around 30mph a colossal knocking noise starts to emerge from somewhere in the transmission (not a good thing), and running with the floor up it seemed to stem from the front of the torque tube. I dropped the rear axle and took out the UJ, and although there is absolutely no play in the bushes the central spider has an axial play of about an eighth of an inch between each of the forks. If this was an open propshaft I'd be certain that this is bad news, but I'm a bit leary of torque tubes and their mysteries, so I'd like to know if this is correct or not. the manuals don't help much, because all they say is that if the UJ is shot it needs replacing!. Another thing that may or may not be important is that in the spares catalogue the reference number for the UJ is 9070, whereas mine has 9071 cast into it. Has anybody got a WOT2 universal joint they can check?

All the Best,

Stefano

Hello there one and all,

I've got a problem with my WOT2 and I'm throwing it open to you clever chaps. It's a bit difficult to explain in writing but basically at around 30mph a colossal knocking noise starts to emerge from somewhere in the transmission (not a good thing), and running with the floor up it seemed to stem from the front of the torque tube. I dropped the rear axle and took out the UJ, and although there is absolutely no play in the bushes the central spider has an axial play of about an eighth of an inch between each of the forks. If this was an open propshaft I'd be certain that this is bad news, but I'm a bit leary of torque tubes and their mysteries, so I'd like to know if this is correct or not. the manuals don't help much, because all they say is that if the UJ is shot it needs replacing!. Another thing that may or may not be important is that in the spares catalogue the reference number for the UJ is 9070, whereas mine has 9071 cast into it. Has anybody got a WOT2 universal joint they can check?

All the Best,

Stefano

The play in the UJ joint on a WOT2 is the Backwards/Forwards movement. There should be play sideways only. Take the UJ off and try for any play if you move it Backwards/Forwards - there should be none. If any is detected, then replace/repair the joint. Please note that this joint is for a WOT2 only and is not used on any other Ford vehicle, although it is similar to others. At one time repair kits were available for these joints - try Belcher Engineering.

Have you checked the bearing halfway down the torque tube?

Also, have you checked the bearing on the rear axle pinion?

My WOT2 has a UJ part number of WOT2-7090. I had trouble with my WOT2 and had to replace the joint. Got mine from Nordians, who unfortunately don't exist anymore.

Hope this is helpful.

Robert Davey

Hiya,

Here are some pictures of the Universal Joint that came out of the WOT 2. As you can see it looks nothing like the one in the workshop manual. Is it the correct one? Or has somebody been a naughty boy...

Cheers,

Stefano

IMG_3064_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3065_1_1_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3066_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3067_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3068_1_1_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_3094_1_1_1_1_1_1.JPG