Dodge WC62/63 6x6

tyler

Hi Tyler

Vanderveen lists them as follows:- WC62 L 215" W 82.75" H 87" Wt 7975lb

WC63 L 224.75" W 82.75" H 87" 7550lb winch capacity 5000lb.

Same engine as the 3/4 ton 4x4 but addition of a 2 speed transfer box.

I haven't owned one so can't help you in that respect but hope this info helps you.

Cheers

Degsy

Hi Degsy, thanks for that I am looking at one thats for sale on the Isle of White, So I can take the Polsten to shows and just wanted to know if it would fit in the storage (not that thats ever stopped me), its either that or an Austin K4 in Owestrey.

Thanks.

Tyler.

Hi Tyler

Have you not considered a GMC SWB (352) dimensions 231" (245" w/winch) x88"X 108" (reducible to 76" if you got a soft cab) It is an ideal vehicle for the Polsten and is considered by many to be the best designed truck of WW2, easy to work on, reliable and relatively quick on the road.

Similar mpg to a WC52, better than a WC62 and slightly more powerful.

Cheers

Degsy

Hi Marco, thanks for the pics, the truck with the Plosten on the back of it is based in the UK I think, the Quad polsten I have is huge compared to the single gun mount, do you know what the most a 4x2 GMC like the one at the top of your last post will tow?

Thanks.

Tyler.

Hi Tyler

Marco's 1st pic is of a hard cab 6x4 CCKW 352, THE 2nd axle is hidden in the photo. The SWB Jimmy was specifically built as a gun tractor for the

105mm howitzer so will easily handle the polsten quad, as well as the

howitzer I have seen pics of them towing bofors and polsten quads.

Several manufacturers produced a 1.5 ton 4x4 in a ,variety of configurations, Dodge, Ford/Marmon Herrington and International (USMC

and Navy) but the main manufacturer was Chevrolet who built many thousands between 1941 and 1945. Surprisingly there are not that many of them in the UK and they bring higher prices than Jimmys.

Cheers

Degsy

Hi, thanks for pointing out it was a SWB and not a 4x2 Degsy, by the way Degsy you dont know where you saw the pics of them towing bofors and polsten quads? As I havent found any wartime pics of Quad Polstens only pics of them for sale etc.

Thanks.

Tyler.

• 2 years later...

i own a wc62. so far iv towed a gmc and a duck. i also haul our groups bofors to events throughout ireland. i find it a pleasure to drive and great fun. its lower than a gmcand can nearly fit in a normal garage if you are carefull at reveresing.

ive also driven our groups gmc and find although its bigger the steering makes it easier to drive, but u cant beat the sound of the dodge