Paint questions.

Rick W

Couple of paint questions.

Does anyone supply aerosol military paint? Im after a couple of aerosol tins of earth colour, I dont need a big 5 litre tub of it and only need a small amount to spray on.

Where can I get paint for a canvas from, I only need a small amount, but again, earth, green and black.

Anyone ever used frank Burberry paints or Vintage paints, if so, what are they like?

Thanks

I've recently used frank Burberry's paint and had pretty good results with it. I probably chose too hot a day as the stuff was drying as I put it on. I found it did work more controllably with some white spirit in it to thin it down. The 'satin' finish I ordered turned out to be more glossy than I expected, but with the addition of w/s I got much more like the finish I required. Put it on by brush and roller as I dont have spraying facilities, but I would think with enough w/s in it it should go on fine. Colour seems pretty spot on for the late war olive drab I was after, but there are always plenty of folk to argue the accuracy of this! :)

I met a guy who had painted Mickey Mouse black on his canvas and it looked pretty good and had soaked in rather than stopping on top, if you get what I mean, and so didnt appear to be cracking. He got his paint from a paint place in Manchester but I cant remember the name other than it was a series of initials 'D** paints'. might be worth a web or yellow pages search.

The reason for asking these questions is twofold. When we sprayed up the engine cover on the Morris we used thinners with paint from Warpaint and didnt get a good finish. Im going to try it again but usng thinners. I take it that Frank Burberrys apints must be of similar make up to WP's and they look like thinners is the way to go there.

Secondly, the Iltis is going to get a makeover and the canvas needs to be included in that. The paint code for the bronze-green is RAL6014 with "splodges" of black and a small amount of brown. Is RAL 6014 a common number used by NATO? If so, is it the same as Matt NATO green?

Been trying to find canvas paint for a long time. Not been succesful so far. There used to be such an animal, linseed oil based but since synthetic sails are now used no longer required. You could try laying the canvas out and splodging with a fabric dye I suppose.

Thanks John, thats quite handy, but chuffing expensive way of doing it as they only seem to supply aerosol cans. At nearly £20 a shot that could work out a little expensive. I will ring up Frank Burberry see if he can help.

Rick,

You are in the motor trade, there are always local paint suppliers about who mix colours for bodyshops and garages. Ask for synthetic paint, with your RAL number and specify if gloss, semi-matt, etc. My local one, mixes a litre for £10, which is about the going rate.

Did try that Richard, they said they couldnt work from RAL numbers! Will try a bodyshop though.

Rick,

The supplier I use, deals with HMG Corrofast paint. The type that I get is their C71 Speedline which is like the old coach paints of days gone by. They have two large colour charts, one in BS colours, the other in RAL colours. Go to www.hmgcoatings.com and check out their product details for C71 Speedline, you will see it is available in RAL colours. If you need it matt or semi-matt, you will have to enquire because these are usually gloss.

Not wanting to hi jack your thread but I can't recommend HMG paint highly enough . I'm currently using their coach paint which I bought through Craftmaster for the restoration of my showmans caravan and it is far superior to any of the other paints I use in the normal course of business .