HELP!!! I really need to identify this vehicle

opus26

Hi there everyone!!!, I'm very new here and I was hoping to find some help with Identifying a vehicle that I believe my wifes relative drove in one of the World Wars, any help would be appreciated. Well the other problem I have is getting the image from my profile page onto this message and being an old fogey and somewhat of a technophobe I have no idea how to do it:??? :cry:,so if when you read this you could also check out my profile you should be able to see the photograph of the vehicle in question. It looks a bit like the business bit of a bulldozer without the blade and an extension fitted with some type of roller.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to loads of knowledgeable replies:-\.

regards,

Opus26

user1252_pic121_1218327913.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo added

Hmmm. I've searched through a few of my books because that picture has appeared before in various publications. At the risk of ridicule (I'm to old to care anyway!!) I think it is a WWI Avellin Porter gun tractor but I am probably wrong. Come on Tony B you're a WWI man, er not by age I should quickly add. You should know this. Steam traction engines were used in the Boer War for hauling field artillery but I think workable tracks for military use came slightly later. If only I could find my referance book. Fowler built some huge steam traction engines that could pull a trenching plough big enough to produce a trench 5 feet deep by 5 feet wide in one go!!!

Phil P

Belive it or not, I agree with Degsey :shake:. The closest picture I can find that matches that is a Holt. The solid roller front, the drive gear matches. The pictures I have lack the front engine cover.The Holt was used by the Austrian's as artillery tractors. The tracked trailer could mean that this vehicles was attached to the Army Service corp, in which case Deepcut RLC musuem is your choice or Royal Enginner's museum at Chatham. Have a look at this link

http://www.historicroadways.co.uk/s-007.htm Was your relative ASC? The artical also mentions the tracked trailer so it appears that the picture was taken in the Middle East.

Edited by Tony B

Yes i agree with that. A Holt 75 just like this one.

DSCN7693.jpg

Must be one of the few MV's that was ever supplied new to the British, American, French, Russian and Austrian armys.

As said previously, the tracked trailer would suggest that the photo was taken in Eygypt or Palestine.

Tim (too)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
The story is one of Holt's employees described the vehicle as a Caterpillar crawling along. Holt copyrighted the name, and the rest as they say.

Said Noddy to Big ears.

Thank you all for the help I'm afraid the photograph I posted is very tatty and just about holding together and my good lady has told me that it is one of her relatives driving it and that the picture was taken at 'Jericho' so you were right to suspect that it was the middle east.I now have to research the Family Tree :readbook:and find out 'Who':??? the relative is with all the relevant detail ie: Regiment etc.... A massive thank you again.I'll be sure to post any results.:tup::

It appears he was part of the vehicle crew. Therefore the best bet is he was ASC, Alley Slopper's Cavalary as it was known at the time. The Army Service Corp recived the appelation Royal following the Great War. the museum is the Royal Logistic Corp museum at Deepcut, Andrew Robertshaw is the curator. they are a very freindly bunch. http://www.army.mod.uk/rlc/history/348.aspx

Great Picture,thanks for the help in identifying the vehicle now all I have to do is find out who the relative was and what he was doing at 'Jericho' and when the picture was taken hahaha the easy bit hahaha.