Taking deactivated weapons into France.

Great War truck

if my translation of the article below is correct, taking deactivated weapons into France is now a little awkward. It would appear that a 50 cal mounted on a Belgian half track did not have a French deactivation certifciate but unsuprisingly a Belgian one.

The article states that the half track, driver and his children were detained and the 50 cal seized and the owner given a €750 fine as well.

Can any French speaker confirm these details gleened with the assistance of my Collins English French dictionary?

50cal.jpg

Tim (too)

I'm afraid rather than a European standard for deactivation a ban would be more likely. I'm being devils advocate now but I can see why the powers that rule are concerned over this. Does it really make that much difference to leave the deacts at home??

Matt.

• 2 years later...

Guys,

Just wandered if anything had changed on this important topic, can we really not take vehicle mounted/towed (or any) Deacs into France,Netherlands etc...? Why do I see loads of photos of mil vehicle runs with deacs or are they now just old photos??

Thanks

This maybe straying perilously close to the dreaded "P" word but...

To me it seems the powers-that-rule should be looking at a European wide standard for deactivation - then issues like this should be avoided!

Isn't this what Directive 91/477 is supposed to achieve? There's at least one Russian seller of deactivated weapons who suggests it does:

"European Weapons Directive 91/477 EEC Annex III (a): For the purposes of this Annex objects which corresponds to the definition of a 'firearm' shall not be included in that definition if they: (a) have been rendered permanently unfit for use by the application of technical procedures which are guaranteed by an official body or recognised by such a body."

Andy

When we take our Lee Enfields over to France we obviously take the de-ac certificates, a French Translation of the certificates for each weapon and also have the nod from the Mayor of the village we go to. We also allow at least 2 hours extra each way on the boat for the authorities to go over everything each side.

Also learned that the weapons should have mags and bolts removed as the French Police prefer this to happen.

That's EU, unlike us the French use the EU when they feel like it! Particullaly round Normandy there is local legilation covering military vehicles and kit. Ouisterham has a prticullaly 'Keen' Chef de Douane. It seems to be his lifes ambition to make MV owners life a misery.