Daimler Armoured Car in Libya

Kuno

These are three wrecks of Daimler Armoured Cars in Libya. Although they are located in an area where they were employed in the beginning of 1943, shortly before the capture of Tripoli, I do not believe that they are actual "desert war wrecks". It is more likely that they were in use by postwar British forces occupying the country or even that they were driven by the later Libyan army...

bildpercent202_262.jpg

Don't know - they are next to a military compound and actually I was not allowed to go near but could only take this shot from far. Cannot say if engine, gearbox etc. are still available or if its only the hull...

You would have major problems now trying to source an engine and particularly a tranmission.

Normally the only people with them are current owners retaining spares for their vehicles. The days when you could go out on to the ranges are long gone.

Hi All,

Based on my knowledge of Libya in the 60's it's fair to say that all WW2 debri was cleaned out by the scrap metal trade so theres little chance they are from that era. However the Libyan Army still operated them at that time and allied to the fact that they are near an Army camp you can be pretty sure they're ex Libyan.

Cheers.

Peter Herrett