Austin Aromoured car - ww1

Radek

There were different types of Austin used - the 3rd type was used by the British, 17th Battalion Tank Corps who used them extremely successfully at Amiens. As for photos, the book 'War Cars' by David Fletcher has some good ones, and the Australian War Memorial website (don't know the address, google it and it will come up though). Great idea to replicate one, i've always thought it would be the easiest WW1 armoured car to replicate, and would look fantastic

Bit of a thread hijack I know, but I met an Australian chap at W&P who was in the process of making a Rolls Royce armoured car.

Apparently there is only one pre-war pattern one in existence (in India) so he had been there to measure it up.

He had got hold of a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost (Shadow?) chassis and built all the panels himself. The running gear is apparently all the same as the original car. Rolling the turret had caused a lot of trouble by all accounts.

He had a few 'little' jobs to do (making the double wheels for the back was one of them) and then he was planning to bring it back to the UK, where he has settled.

Somethig to look forward to......

My point is, he would be the man to talk to I suspect!

Edited by lightweight
Poor grammar!

• 1 year later...

That's interesting Radek. Please can you tell us a bit about it and a little about the website? What chassis is it? I am sorry that my languge skills are not as good as yours!

Steve

Edited by Old Bill

• 2 months later...
That's interesting Radek. Please can you tell us a bit about it and a little about the website? What chassis is it? I am sorry that my languge skills are not as good as yours!

Steve

Hi Steve,

here are any pictures from the progres http://www.austinjuras.estranky.cz/

The frame (chassis) is new made direct for this project.:nut:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...