Dodge Mot

Chappers

I just had a chat with the MOT tester who tested the Dodge and he said that the Dodge WC51 class of MOT should be a class 7 (light Commercial) MOT and not a class 4 (Car). Does anyone know if this is correct?? .Should it be classed as a light commercial??

Regards

Steve

It goes on gross weight. As the Dodge is below 3 tonnes it is class 4 ie car., and remember it due many exemptions. Find out who does your classic cars in the area. Some MOT places just don't want the hassle of things that the computer can't do the job for them.

It is very simple: what is the weight of the vehicle shown on your Form V5C? This is known as the gross revenue weight and is the maximum gross laden weight. It determines what MOT test you are legally required to have. There is no alternative and you cannot dispute this unless you get your V5 form amended (amendement is however a simple process).

under the computerised MOT system, an MOT test station cannot perform a Class 4 test on a vehicle which the DVLA computer says has a gross revenue weight of more than 3,000 KG (or 2.95 imperial tons or 6,614 imperial lbs) as the DVLA computer system will not permit them to enter the results into the computer.

A Class 7 vehicle means the gross revenue weight recorded on the V5c form is between 3,000 kg and 3,499kg and so you must have have a Class 7 MOT - this is no different to a Class 4 test but can only be carried out by test stations who are registered to do Class 7 - in practice this could be simply that they have a vehicle hoist which can handle the extra weight.

Above 3,499kg (simplistically) the vehicle then needs either an HGV test or is in a qualifying MOT/Plating and testing regulations exempt category

Edited by john fox

As usual 'unless' . Looking at mine the weight is 3380, but being pre 1960 commercial can be MOT exempt.

misleading ????????????

is 3380 the laden or unladen weight?

is "yours" legally registered as an ambulance, if so you are quite right it is a Class 4 MOT irrespective of weight, but see thread on what consititutes a legal ambulance: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?p=83046&highlight=ambulance#post83046

because if not then, as has been said many many times before, the exact definiton of the "age exemption" is a motor vehicle with a gross laden weight OVER 3,500kg first used before 1st January 1960 and used unladen (ie is a "goods" vehicle) so if 3380kg is laden weight it's not and never will be exempt

what does the Dodge data plate or vehicle manual give as laden weight - under 3.85 US tons which is 3.44 imperial tons or 3,500kg then you must get a Class 4 or Class 7 MOT as relevant - that is the law no matter how old your vehicle is (ask any vintage car owner)

The ambulance is the 101. She is acepted by DVLA as an ambulance and never had a problem. The Dodge has also been listed MOT exempt as long as I've had her and before. Checking with DVLA confirmed that she is exempt. As to why, back to the usual, one question three diffrent answers.

John is right. An ambulance is only 'an ambulance' from the point of registration and testing if it is only used as such.

A Dodge is only exempt from testing if it is over 3500kg gross weight and used unladen. A four wheeler Dodge is not over 3500kg gross as they only weigh 2250kg empty and have a design payload of 670kg.

As Tony points out, the rules, though very clear and specific if looked at for an individual item are sufficiantly complicated for the average DVLA employee to get easily confused.

The fact remains that in the event of a problem, you would be found to be operating illegally. Ignorance of the law is seldom much of a defence, though I would imagine the DVLAs inability to correct any errors would work in ones favour.

The rules governing what consitutes a tax exempt commercial vehicle are clear, as are those indicating what qualifies as an ambulance. If I were flouting these I wouldn't be publicising it on the net & I certainly wouldn't be encouraguing others to do the same.

Remember it is an offence to intentionally mislead the DVLA. Not correcting their errors still counts as misleading them.

- Mike

Never mislead anyone. All the information was forwrded to DVLA and accepted. The ambulance is equipped as such as stands ready for use at any show it attends. I also use it for equestrian events. I've owned the Dodge seven years now. Every query about re taxing I've made , always been assured by DVLA no problem there's the disc.

Never mislead anyone. All the information was forwrded to DVLA and accepted. The ambulance is equipped as such as stands ready for use at any show it attends. I also use it for equestrian events. I've owned the Dodge seven years now. Every query about re taxing I've made , always been assured by DVLA no problem there's the disc.

Whether the DVLA accepted it is irrelevant, it is up to the individual to be able to prove that the exemption claimed is accurate,in the case of a Dodge 4 wheeler it is clearly not exempt and merely saying it has been accepted for years is no defence in law.

This subject has come up many times regarding a number of different vehicles regarding both tax and MOT exemption and what many people fail to realise is that the authorities would love to withdraw these priveligies from us and if people persist in abusing the system this will surely happen.

Tony, I am not going to get into an argument with you or any one else on this subject, what the DVLA say is irrelevant, if you are signing a form to claim any sort of exemption then it is down to the individual to be certain the facts are correct. As has been previously pointed out if you could prove that the DVLA had inadvertantly mislead you it might help your case in court if it ever came to that but I doubt it would make a lot of difference to the outcome and as has also been mentioned and is common knowledge, ignorance is no defence,and I think you are far from ignorant:)

Another point in regard to this is that if you do not comply with VED and testing regulations then insurance becomes invalid and the vehicle can be confiscated by plod :police: as well as the subsequent appearance before the bench.:sweat:

I just had a chat with the MOT tester who tested the Dodge and he said that the Dodge WC51 class of MOT should be a class 7 (light Commercial) MOT and not a class 4 (Car). Does anyone know if this is correct?? .Should it be classed as a light commercial??

Regards

Steve

A WC51 weighs 2.6 tons WC52 2.8 tons + its design carrying capacity 3/4ton makes both in the 3 to 3.5 ton gross weight so they need a class 7 MOT, the test requirement is the same as a class 4 but the testing station is equiped with a larger ramp to cater for the larger vehicle

A WC51 weighs 2.6 tons WC52 2.8 tons + its design carrying capacity 3/4ton makes both in the 3 to 3.5 ton gross weight so they need a class 7 MOT, the test requirement is the same as a class 4 but the testing station is equiped with a larger ramp to cater for the larger vehicle

I weighed my WC52 and it came out at 2.25 tonnes.

Isn't this where the difference between a long ton (British Imperial), short ton (American Imperial), and tonne (Metric) comes into play?

I thought the DVLA rules were in Metric tonnes, but the nomenclature of "3/4 ton truck" was in American Imperial short tons.

I'm no expert though, so maybe I've got it wrong. Theres a wikipedia entry on the different forms of ton/tonne/tun here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ton

Anyone who reads them.

As I have done all that DVLA have asked me to do, and as they are the ones with last word over wether the Vehicle Excise disc, that is required to be displayed when the vehicle is used on the road. They are the ones whose requirments I'll listen to.

As I have done all that DVLA have asked me to do, and as they are the ones with last word over wether the Vehicle Excise disc, that is required to be displayed when the vehicle is used on the road. They are the ones whose requirments I'll listen to.

That will not work as a defence in court when you're had up for driving an untested and therefore uninsured vehicle. You will have signed a form somewhere along the way declaring that your vehicle complies with the law, which I do not believe it does.

I would urge anyone reading this not to follow your example and risk bringing our hobby into disrepute.

- Mike

Regards

Steve

To return to Steve's original question:

If you are in any way unclear as to where you stand on the opinions expressed here I'd suggest you get it weighed on a certified weighbridge and add to that value the metric equivalent of the quoted payload. This will tell you whether you are over the 3.5 tonnes limit for MoT testing / exemption.

- Mike

It is meant to be weighed unladen so depending on what ''a few bits and bobs in the back'' are, you have a definitive unladen weight for her. If you add the design payload, 3/4 of a US ton, i.e 1500 lbs, this gives you a gross weight of 3167 kg, clearly well below 3500 kg gross and therefore not exempt from test.

Which is why she gets her MOT the bits and bobs are a few display boards, boxes and a BSA Parabike and the odd few spares. We drove her for the first year without an MOT as we had been told when we bought her she was exempt (usual things; its an ambulance built before 1960 so it'll be ok) when it came around for renewal I asked my local post office about it they said to talk to the DVLA who said "we're not sure" and put me in contact with the department that classifies vehicles who asked me a few questions and then said, sorry but you do need an MOT.

We were lucky for a year and I hate to think what would have happened if we had an accident and were proven to not have a MOT when we needed it. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Which is why she gets her MOT the bits and bobs are a few display boards, boxes and a BSA Parabike and the odd few spares. We drove her for the first year without an MOT as we had been told when we bought her she was exempt (usual things; its an ambulance built before 1960 so it'll be ok) when it came around for renewal I asked my local post office about it they said to talk to the DVLA who said "we're not sure" and put me in contact with the department that classifies vehicles who asked me a few questions and then said, sorry but you do need an MOT.

We were lucky for a year and I hate to think what would have happened if we had an accident and were proven to not have a MOT when we needed it. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Exactly! In this day and age, it all seems to be about arse covering, which is why some people get very vague answers when they question the DVLA staff. If you know the rules and play by them, you're covered.