"Killer Tanks" big wheeled Sherman?

Lauren Child

I've just been watching the Sherman episode of "Killer Tanks" on the discovery channel.

Just before the end there was a picture shown of a Sherman with no tracks and four huge wheels fitted. Unfortunately they didn't say what it was or why it was done. Can any of you shed some light?

It looked like a peculiar beast.

This was definitely a Sherman hull/turret with 4 wheels fitted. The wheels were huge (about as tall as the Sherman) and grooved. They were fitted where the drive sprockets and rear idlers would normally be, but the axles must have been extended down as they still fitted under the recess for the tracks, giving a huge ground clearance.

Lauren,

Jack is correct, it sounds like the Mine exploder, T10. An experimental one off, built on an M4A2 chassis. The front wheels were 8 feet in diameter! It weighed in at 52 tons and it's top speed was 7 mph, 2 mph whilst exploding mines.

One of the many and varied US attempts at mine clearance. The British flail was rather more successful.

Adrian

Lauren,

Jack is correct, it sounds like the Mine exploder, T10. An experimental one off, built on an M4A2 chassis. The front wheels were 8 feet in diameter! It weighed in at 52 tons and it's top speed was 7 mph, 2 mph whilst exploding mines.

One of the many and varied US attempts at mine clearance. The British flail was rather more successful.

Adrian

That sounds like the thing - the wheels were huge.

I located an image of another one of the sherman big wheel anti mine units

mvbook017.jpg

the text calls it M1 Aunt jemima . 75 units made , chain drive from the sprockets to the 10 foot "indestructible" wheels , an extra M4 somtimes being necessary to push the heavy equipment along.