Browser - some good news

AlienFTM

Following the recent assertion that there were issues with the latest Opera (?) browser and this site, I am pleased to report that Firefox 3, which GAed yesterday evening, seems to have cured a problem I had recently become aware of.

When I posted a quick reply on this machine that had a total software refresh a couple of weeks ago, Firefox had frequently (I cannot say for certain that it was ALWAYS) started to loop, trying and failing to refresh after having posted the reply. That problem now appears to have gone away.

One of Firefox 3's big points is its speed of rendering a page, which I had been waiting months for. Well worth the money. Oh, hang on, it's free.

(_8o())

Any chance of you coves repeating this in english for the rest of us?

If you use Firefox, version 3 released yesterday works fine with this site (my wife has issues with Ancestry.co.uk: they'll get their fingers out eventually and sort themselves out).

Though there were some issues with the install yesterday which meant I had to uninstall all versions of Firefox. It seemed to install okay, but when I tried to start it, nothing happened except the life was sucked out of the processor.

To resolve this I had reboot Windows in Safe Mode by pressing F8 over and over while the text screen was scrolling before the Windows splash screen appeared, then selecting "Start Windows in safe mode" or something.

Go to Start / Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs and when the screen populates, scroll down to Mozilla and one by one, delete ALL versions of Firefox (I found versions 1.5.x, 2.x and 3 all installed). When uninstalling version 2 there is an option not to delete your settings. If you leave this set to "do not delete" it will remember your bookmarks, cookies and passwords.

Reboot Windows in normal mode then go back to the Firefox download you installed earlier and rerun it. Firefox comes up sweet as you like.

This morning at work, this machine installed version 3 sweet as a very sweet thing coated in sugar and dipped in honey.

Edited by AlienFTM
missed out a minor point

Interesting!

I've reverted to using FireFox whilst I wait to hear from Opera as to why their browser has gone secondary mammary's up. Mine is v2.0.0.14 though and when I click the "Check for Upgrades" link it reports I have the latest version & no update is available....

I do like FireFox - there are some sweet little add-ins available to make life easier in the web world.

Interesting!

I've reverted to using FireFox whilst I wait to hear from Opera as to why their browser has gone secondary mammary's up. Mine is v2.0.0.14 though and when I click the "Check for Upgrades" link it reports I have the latest version & no update is available....

I do like FireFox - there are some sweet little add-ins available to make life easier in the web world.

I did read that they are holding back from pushing FF3 into the upgrade stream for a little while. You need to go looking for it.

I have to point out that a number of other, less-well-written sites seem to perform rather less well than HMVF.