Terminal? Fox gear box - ie HELP!

john fox

:cry: advice needed please

tried adjusting the Fox gearbox using the dip stick method but found the following:

1. none of the adjuster nuts on any of the 5 gears turn at all during pedalling up. Book says to remove spring and undo nut half turn, reconnect spring and watch for nut turning - none of them turn when this is done

2 all the adjuster nuts are very high on the pull rods - the book says to undo them when checking if they turn but they are so high up the rod should I actually screw them down instead?

3. 2nd 3rd and 4th are all correct per the dip stick but:

- 1st is where 3rd should be and if I adjust the stop nut per the book (ie to decrease dimension x then the adjuster ring will not make any contact at all with the stop nut. Although it looks like 1st has engaged there could be kick back on the pedal (I have not tried with the engine running)

- 5th gear is at about 2rd on the dip stick and the gear will not select at all and it just goes into neutral all the time. Adjustment just creates an air gap as with 1st

4. pedalling up in all gears sometimes results in all gears sticking in neutral (except 5th which will not engage at all) and moreover going up the box from 2nd to 3rd requires 2 stamps on the pedal - 1st stamp gets neutral, 2nd stamp engages 3rd gear. However coming down the box from 4th to 3rd it engages first time every time

5 this box was totally rebuilt about 1-2 years ago but when I bought the vehicle it was exhibiting problems 2 to 3rd and I lost 1 -3 on the only time I took it out (Salisbury Plain trip). Is it possible someting has come loose inside the box rather than it just being a case of bedding in new bands given the adjustments don't seem to make a difference?

John,

Have you checked all the linkages are correctly adjusted? When we rebuilt our box we spent a good few hours setting the linkages up properly in order to obtain all 5 gears. I would look at this before messing with the adjusters. When we did ours we slackened off the adjusters, pumped the pedal till they stopped adjusting and then left them. They will only move if there is some free play to take up. Unfortunatley the linkages you need to play with are not easy to get at, so you'll need to look at taking up the turret floor, some of the font panels and possibly the fuel tank.

Chris

John,

Remember that the gear change pedal linkage may also need adjusting in order to get it to correctly select the gears. If you remove the gear selector mechanism you can select the gears manually while someone else depresses the pedal to see if it's a problem there or not.

Chris