NEWS - Me 109 Crashed at Berlin Airshow.

Jack

Hmm... looks like the starboard undercarriage strut either wasn't locked down completely, or became unlocked upon landing. I suspect that's where the AIT will look first, mechanically speaking. At least the pilot got out unharmed :)

EADS historic flight’s Messerschmitt Bouchon/Bf 109G-10 ‘Black Two’ Ground Looped on landing. Piloted by Walter Eichhorn, an experienced 109 pilot having been flying them for the last 20 years.

Pics of the accident here.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=23124

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=23125

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/storage/pic/fotos/berlin/214290_1_ILA-Messe_dpa.fertig.JPG

Walter escaped another 109 accident just a few weeks ago in mid April, when the other Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4 ‘Red Seven’, also belonging to EADS, suffered a gear collapse.

Pic of 'Red Seven'....

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9681/11982837aa2.jpg

Steve

What a shame, I think the pilot can do hardly anything in that situation - it didn't seem he caused this by hard landing. But his records are now showing two accidents, hopefully the 3rd one won't be his last.

I feel very bad about the plane, its great the pilot was unharmed and the plane didn't flip over. I suppose it takes few months of work and this plane is flying again (after new approval)?

It is what they are very good at. A narrow track and poor visibility is a good recipe for this type of incident. The undercarraige collapsing may have saved other parts from damage. The big casting that the wings, engine and undercarraige all join onto is the bit they start with when building a new aeroplane.

Alan

Out of the 33,000 Bf109's built, I believe 5% were lost to take off and landing accidents. That's a LARGE number to loose. The problem with the design stems from speed. The aircraft was designed with a very thin wing for max speed, but this left it not strong enough to handle landing loads. Therefore the landing gear was fixed to the fuselage, and splayed out to give a wider track.

As with all taildragging aircraft, the centre of gravity is behind the main wheels, and further back when sitting in a three point or tail low attitude. If the wheels scrub the tarmac/grass with a slight side load when taking off or landing, the centre of gravity can try and swing ahead of the wheels, and a ground loop develops, especially at slower speeds when the rudder is less effective at maintaining the heading.

Aircraft like the P-51 Mustang have less tendancy to ground loop due to wide track landing gear and a C of G much closer to the wheels. But that closeness of the wheels to C of G brings with it its own problems as the Mustang is prone to 'Pecking'; nosing over causing a prop strike with the ground.

In both cases, the aircraft sustained light damage and the pilot was lucky.

I had a model Bi-plane many years ago where the wheels were just a little too far ahead of the C of G. It was virtually impossible to keep straight until they were moved back an inch.

As a side note, the second Bf109 that ended up on its belly had only made a couple of flights since a major crash a few years ago that ripped the engine out and severely damaged the airframe.

Steve

The Duxford incident was a bit different. The pilot thought he had an impending engine failure on his hands and landed as soon as he could. He landed long and hopped over the M11 into the field the other side. It all went well until he ran into a ploughed section and the aircraft inverted.

Pilot error? In a way as he mis-interpreted escaping coolant and a burning smell but in that situation, your priority is to get the aircraft down as soon as possible.

The radiator shutter control was slightly out of its detent so preventing the correct, automatic operation. This led to a small amount of coolant escaping. Pilot error? Design error? Bad luck?

In my opinion, he did a fine job under the circumstances. Indeed, he refused the offer to be cut out of the aircraft until a crane had arrived to lift it so as to prevent further damage to the airframe.