MOT Regulations

Jessie The Jeep

My jeep MOT will come around in April, so I've been doing a little reading about it. One of the things that interests me is the need for a rear number plate light, and yet, I don't think I've seen a single military vehicle in the area with one!

I've read a few rules like no need for washers with fold down screens, and rules regarding folding seats if that was original design, but can anyone enlighten me as to some of the can and can't get away with rules for older vehicles.

My jeep is a 1958 M201.

Steve

Hi Steve

I would suggest that you find a tester who is used to Land Rovers, ie-your local non franchise LR garage or a tester of the "old school" who understands old vehicles and will use his discretion rather than the"do it by

the book" type of test station.

Cheers

Degsy

There's a local garage that ja020 uses for his jeep. I'll probably go there as they are already familier with the vehicle.

It's still interesting reading the rules and quirks of MOT testing, such as the testers job can't be applied for. You have to work at a test station for a while before being nominated by them to become a tester, and others like folding screens don't need washers.

It must have been a nightmare writing the software for the MOT test.

Steve

Hi all,

if you know a station which is used to Mil vehicles, L/R, etc then i belive it is best to use them and if at all possible stay with the vehicle as i once met a tester who kept the engine running whilst carrying out the test as well as other jobs meanwhile i had a nasty shock when i checked my fuel level afterwards :twisted:

I f your vehicle is 6 volt (or twelve) i find most heavy footed mechanics flood the engine rather than start it = end of test !

Ashley

Hi Steve, speak to Jimmy, his local garage is MV friendly!!! :):)

And cheap as well, £25.oo for a test

A lad I was at school with went on to do postal MOTs, which were very handy.

Trouble is the ministry were not all that happy about him doing them for some reason :)

Had mine done at the end of September and it was recorded as a Hotchkiss Jeep. The first time I took it in for an MOT the tester was having to go and check his reference books to see what it was exempt. there has been no change to the actual MOT just more time is taken with putting the information onto the computer system

Hi Steve

I see that you mentioned number plate lights in your first post. My Hotchkiss is 1964 and rebuilt in 1976 and has one which I suppose was fitted by the French Army either originally or at the time of rebuild. It is unobtrusive and is below and to the left of the bumperette.

I would send you a pic but the wheels are off and the back is close to a wall. It is similar to the one on page 27 of the vehicle wiring products catalogue ref RCT776. But I think mine is metal cased. If you paint it green would anybody notice.

centurion

Hi Steve

From your pic it looks like the lamp is in position. I had some number plates made to fit the space under the Jerry can holder. They are 37 cm wide by 9 cm high in black with raised alloy letters.

They were made by Framptons tel 023 9226 4755. They guy there said that he could legally make them that size as the Fitting recess where the plate went was the only place it would go. So they have motorcycle size letters and numbers on them. They cost £40 :(:( . But the finished result is excellent. :D

Centurion

Hi Steve

When the tester enters the vehicle details ( reg.no and vin no ) on the computer it automatically brings up the details of make etc that are recorded at DVLA. This new system is the reason that the new registration

document was brought in. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Degsy

A worms eye view.

PS there were a few of these on e-bay a couple of months ago.

Ashley,

Those rear lamps are like the wartime rear lamps used on all British vehicles (the bracket is different on m/cycle ones). The no. plate window was not on the wartime ones, I do not think, just the red lens. They are not legal as rear lights now because the area of lens is not big enough but are OK for using additionally for no. plate illumination. I have used these in the past on restorations.

Richard

Yes, I have a wartime VAOS & it appears there as Lamp, Stop & Tail, Butlers. I have a 1954 RAF 16E Vocab & quotes it for a Bedford OB.

thanks Clive,

The Dingo had one without window as were the m/cycle versions. Thinking about it, the RAF put their census numbers, front and back and the rear ones were often like number plates so presumably that is why there are different versions. Although they are listed as stop and tail, they would have to be separate as the bulb holder will not accept twin filament bulbs.

Richard

Hi all

There are two similar type lamps shown in the Vehicle wiring products catalogue as replicas of lucas MT110 and Lucas mt211. Looking at the pic I think only MT110 has th no plate light cut out Both are for motor cycles MT 110 is 1930-50 nd MT211 1936-50 if thats any help?

regards Centurion