Isn't it funny!!!!!!

saracenstump

Hi all

Isn't it funny when it all goes BREAKDOWN.as all things mechanical will breakdown its best to have friends who stay and block the road with you as a few of us have found out,firstly it was me in my saracen and then it was a mates ferret.i must admit you do get some funny looks and even funnier suggestions,but its all the fun of the fair!!!!!!!!!

Ive only ever broken down once, at a petrol station because a dead battery, no problem you'd think someone must have some jump leads at a garage full of people and cars, well you'd be wrong it seems that noone these days carries them, so we push started it, and I also didnt have jump leads "I do now", like the topic title says "Isn't it funny!!!!!!"

Tyler.

I have 'broken down' a few of times: once in a Ferret on the motorway when the points closed up. We were fixing it when a swoosh of tyres and a REME vehicle pulled up, did a double take when he realised we were civilians but still offered to help us fix it. Most 'breakdowns' are because of running out of petrol because I can't afford to fill the tank. Had a small fire in a Saracen once when an oil leak got on the exhaust which evacuated everybody fast and on the same vehicle it boiled once. I waited, but not long enough and then took of the rad cap. Half a gallon of water in which promply boiled and spurted back out like a geyser. The arc of boiling water went in through the hatch and boiled the drivers nuts. My did he squeal!

Not exactly a breakdown but I once blew the silencer (muffler) off the exhaust pipe of a Bedford RL at the start of a coned off section of road and could not stop for about 3 miles. Was I deaf at the end of that! I also had a front wheel fall off a Landrover once and watched it chase someone up the street while I gently subsided onto the brake drum.

Funny you should mention Land Rover wheels John,many years ago I lost

a front wheel off the odl farm hack, a telephone engineer nearly had a

seizure when it went between the ladder he was on and the pole, hit the bank and bounced back, pheeew :!: :shock:

:lol: last sunday i went to take my saracen out for a test drive but didn't get very far,so we towed it back done some tinkering still no joy.so we tried to get it in the fort which i store it ,not an easy task as the gate it has to go through is about 4 inches wider than the saracen so back and forth it went with no power steering and very little brakes.after a lot of pushing and pulling we finally got it through the gate.all this time i was turning it over now and then to try and get some pressure in the brakes but it never started.we were just about to park in the middle of the parade square get out , go home come back next week so on,i thought i give it another go,so i did and yes it started!!!!!!!anyway i was called a few choice names.all this fun due to a blocked tank vent which caused the fuel tank to vacum hence no fuel and over 2 hours of breakdown fun.so better luck next time!

Many years ago ferrying Saracens from Stirling Castle to some where else 2 of us got lumbered with one that had a problem in the transmission - but the first we found out was, having crested one hill to the accompaniment of funny sounds and smells, when we got 2/3 the way up the next before we found ourselves going nowhere....

Spent an hour rolling backwards and forwards trying to get over the last hill before a REME unit turned up and put us on tow.....................