C8 Fuel Tank Repair

This ones for the benefit of John as he's got to do his and Ive already done one of mine on the Morris. So here is a step by step guide to bringing a 60 year old fuel tank back into service!

There are 2 tank straps holding the tank to the chassis, getting them off is relatively easy, you just have to prepare yourself for what lies underneath the tank straps! One will be fine, under the other you may find at the very least a few pinholes as I did on my other. This second one was slightly worse!:shake:

restoblog061.jpg

This is obviously going to need more than a bit of tank sealant. Im going to cut it out and plate it.

The useful chemicals and sealants which were all that were needed on the other tank.

restoblog062.jpg

More to follow...

American vehicles do suffer the same problem, certainly the Dodge tanks that i have repaired in the past had excatly the same trouble.

I believe that R Cubed had a similar problem with his GMC fuel tank?

be very careful with the tank sealer, i have seen it used to extremes in a dodge 1/2Ton! the tank was lined with about 3/4" of tank sealer! it was fine unitl the truck was used then it started braking off in large chunks causing havoc!

Bazza

American vehicles do suffer the same problem, certainly the Dodge tanks that i have repaired in the past had excatly the same trouble.

I believe that R Cubed had a similar problem with his GMC fuel tank?

be very careful with the tank sealer, i have seen it used to extremes in a dodge 1/2Ton! the tank was lined with about 3/4" of tank sealer! it was fine unitl the truck was used then it started braking off in large chunks causing havoc!

Bazza

The trouble with the tanks on SWB GMC's is the strips between the tank and straps is a woven canvas type material, similar to rubbing strips between bonnets and frames on old cars, this of corse absorbs water :-( and dirt builds up between the tank and frame as well, stays damp and rots the tank :-(

Clean between your tanks and frames..

The tank has now been roughly paint stripped using a wire rotary brush on an electric drill, mainly to see if any other offending holes appear. The rest of the tank is fairly solid so the rotten section has been cut out ready for a plate to be welded on.

restoblog063.jpg

Marine clean has been poured in (about a pint) and given a good sloshing around. A hose pipe was employed to give the tank a good rinse out. John, if you are lucky enough to have a fairly solid tank, unscrew the fuel lines from the feed from the tank feed valve which site on top of the tank and remove. Chances are if you leave it in you could be in danger of getting some muck stuck up the pipes which go to the bottom of the tank. Also if you take that out you can stand the tank up on its end, put a hose in the filler neck and drain out of the hole where the feed was.

After the trusty workshop apprentice had done his tank cleaning duties, it was left out in the sun to dry out (the tank, not the trusty apprentice). While it was drying out I gave it a few sprays of Metal Ready externally.

restoblog065.jpg

At the end of today I will put the remainder of the Metal Ready in the tank and put the tank in a bin bag overnight. The reason for this is that the fumes from the Metal Ready treat the rest of the tank which isnt in direct contact with the liquid.

After a night in the bin bag I emptied the residue of the metal ready out. There was a fair bit of gungey muck in the baffled end where we have cut the hole so I spent a bit of time trying to get as much of this out as possible. You may not have to do all this John as yours has been running on a regular basis. The screw thread ends of the filler neck and drain hole were then masked up and the whole thing given a liberal coating of red oxide.

restoblog066.jpg

Hi Rick,

It's looking, you've done a great job so far. Now I have got the clutch sorted I have only got to start rebuilding all the bits I've taken off. I was starting to get a bit worried about missing the W&P but thanks to good old Kewelde I should be up and running before then, I've got the Hythe do the week before so there's not a lot of time left.

I've been saving all your info. but I have to type it all out as I can't seem to save your answers to my documents in my computer.

I'm sure I'm not the only one finding your guides helpful so keep them coming. :tup::

Regards,

John.

After welding a repair patch on the tank we needed to get the filr neckextension out before putting tank sealer in. On the Morris this extend the filler neck out from under the body making it easier to fill the tank, especially from a jerry can.

restoblog067.jpg

It came out a lot easier on the other tank. This one had seized in the neck completely and required a bit of gentle persuasion from Tim and Stuart to get it out. It meant melting the solder which seals it onto the filler neck, but it had to come out. And it did, eventually...

restoblog068.jpg

• 5 months later...