Australia

A good question and i like good questions! Several reasons really.

There was no big scrap drive in Australia during WW2 like there was in the UK, so these things survived.

After the war, the price of scrap and the diverse locations of these trucks just made it uneconomical to recover so they were left where they were. Lots of them are still where they were last parked. I will post some more pics later.

Tim (too)

Excellent series of pic's, Tim.

Have always looked at the number of WWII armoured vehicles, that have been 'adapted', since that conflict, that still earn a living out there.Never really thought the same for WWI stuff, so great to see you posting this. :)

Here is another selection of Australian trucks photos:

An early Dennis rad needing some attention

Dennis013.jpg

Some more Thornycroft chassis:

Thornycroftchassis019alt-1.jpg

Thornycroftchassis023alt.jpg

Thornycroftchassis022alt.jpg

A Thorny Diff !!!!!

APshow08Thornycroftchassis025alt.jpg

A wonderfully restored civilian Mack AC. Extensively used throughtout the war and made up until the late 1920's.

Dscn0541.jpg

A Dennis

Dennistruckeml07011.jpg

Hello Tim, thanks for all your recent post & pics I do enjoy browsing through.

Its all very well being able to restore these pre WW2 vehicle, but Baddy says what about the brakes on your daughters bike? hehehe

Paul

A good point. Baddy certainly doesn't miss a trick. The bicycle brakes have been problematical as they seem to keep readjusting themselves. Anyway, i stripped the whole lot down and reassembled them and they were working fine last time i looked. I must admit that i am always so busy that i had not given them the priority that they deserve.

Tim (too)

:) It may seem that there are lots of vintage or veteran trucks in Australia, however when you consider the size of the country they are in fact few and far between. There are active groups and individuals there preserving and displaying these vehicles. The photo of the Albion of Brunt's is part of a interesting and nicely restored collection in Victoria.

Like here in NZ legislation has been tightened in the last few years restricting the export of heritage items. A factor from this is noticable with the recent purchase of steam traction engines with overseas people retaining the engine for use in this country. They fly out for a holiday, attend a few rallies, then park the engine up till next year.

As for the photos shown of Aussie, a number of them are from New Zealand in fact from our own collection here at home. These were sent to Tim's brother and duly forwarded on and posted.

Time to put some information on regards each of the photos.

Photo 2 & 4

This is a Thornycroft chassis I think about 1923-24. The design of it points to this time as it has an extra cross member in front of the gearbox and a heavier gearbox than earlier model J Thornycrofts.

Photos 3 & 5

Another Thornycroft which appears to be from the first batch for the War Dept. Small front wheels, spring hangers on the front and an unusual diff housing of 5 sections bolted together as opposed to the more conventional

diff of 3 sections. Also early design of front axle, hubs and unusual pipe cross members above the rear wheels. Tim's brother has forwarded a photo of such a truck ready for delivery to WD in late 1912 or early 1913. These features about the front axle and springs are clearly noticeable.

The chassis and hub in front of the photo is Leyland of 1925.

Photo 7

This is Karl's 1924 Dennis having a life as a shortened wheel base farm truck. Recently purchased and now waiting for rebuilding, and could well be retained in the present form as an altered vehicle, characteristic of that what undertaken 50 odd years ago.

Doug

:coffee: