Transmission Brake

Mark

Hi All

I have a gearbox and transmission marked GPW, so I am assuming it is off a flat fender jeep (WW2 type) for some reason mounted in an M606A2/3, anyway just removed the rear prop to take the brake drum off, undone the big nut in the middle removed the drum and all my new oil run out from the transmission :shock: , is this normal and if it is what a silly design :? , the reason for my post is this, the brake shoes have a number 47662 stamped on them is this correct and what is the correct ones and where to get them please.

Mark

Hi Mark

I'm not an expert on Jeep transmissions but I am sure there should be a seal there. Ring Tony Sudds at T S Autos in Gravesend tel 01474 564038,

expert advice comes for free, parts at very good prices.

Cheers

Degsy

removed the drum and all my new oil run out from the transmission :shock: , is this normal and if it is what a silly design :? ,

Mark,

The drum has the splined hub attached, this has the seal path for the seal. As the transfer box oil level is above the seal, it will run out. Best read the manual, it will no doubt say, "drain oil before removing brake drum" :)

Richard

Hi Mark

There are 4 bolts attaching the brake drum to a flange, you should have undone these then the seal would have been left in place. The seal is complete as you describe it and should go back OK if it wasn't leaking before,however since you have dismantled it you might as well fit anew one when you reassemble it to give you peace of mind. Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Degsy