Scammell Explorer Gallery

But thinking about it diesel cranks are usually beefier than |etrol, but the Meadows diesel delivers quite a lot less power than the Petrol doesn't it? It might ne the same crank...

According to history, Scammell developed the 6DC630 diesel in to a petrol engine themselves, by producing new heads and pistons, resulting in the 6PC630, so the likelyhood of them being the same crank is high.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But thinking about it diesel cranks are usually beefier than |etrol, but the Meadows diesel delivers quite a lot less power than the Petrol doesn't it? It might ne the same crank...

I think Meadows supplyed scammell with 6 dc 630 diesel engines and scammell converted them to petrol hence the Scammell Meadows name plate on the rocker covers. The block and bottim end look the same. The cylinder head bolts are different on early and later engines but there is nothing in the book to say the cranks were alterd.

Will start removing radiator now (whats the best way to sling up when lifting it off?)

many thanks

Robert

Hi Rob, I have no real facts to go on but the diesel came first and the petrol version was said to be a design collaboration between Scammell and Meadows, although Scammells input may have just been in the ancillary bits. As per previous posts I would expect the main components to be the same except the pistons (lower compression) the crankshaft balancing to suit (not so easy to check), the camshaft (lift+profile+timing) and maybe modified crank oil ways for better lube at higher speeds.

When working on these crankshafts be sure to remove the sludge plugs and clean out the hollow crank throws, as a build up of particles inside can compact due to certain forces and eventually block the oil ways.

You've nothing to loose by having a go, good luck with it!

I am a little puzzled why an Explorer with a Royal Navy Vehicle number is presented as a REME vehicle... or did it change services at some time???

Right-I've been in my archives and found out more about the Explorer owned by Bob White of Plymouth in my post No. 566. I found a feature on it in the Feb 2007 Heritage Commercials magazine. It is a 1952 model and tows a 1944 Bren gun carrier. It has chassis no. 7410 and was previously owned by Derek willis from Bodmin. It apparently started life in the army (REME) and was later transferred to Plymouth dockyard and used to tow submarines and frigates into dry dock. The vehicle was repainted blue (and presumably given a Navy reg?) for it's new role. Mr White has now owned it for 11 yrs approx and he removed the Meadows petrol and replaced it with a 250 Cummins. He has restored it to it's original REME spec as near as possible. The trailer it tows is a Cranes purpose built 7.5 ton 6 wheeler designed for bren gun carriers. It is approx 1940. The bren gun carrier is Canadian (1944) and still in it's original packing case when Mr White bought it! At the time of the article it had covered 256 miles from new!

I have yet to find the Constuctor photos I was looking for, but they're here somewhere. Happy New year. Daz :)

Hello. (well chuffed:banana::banana:)

That photo was taken about 4 months ago and she now has a bonnet and new side panels. This was before i knew about the main bearings ect. Have finnished all the cab reskining and made a new opening front screen and new doors, I managed to save the top parts and cut the bottoms off and made new lower frames and reskined them. I made the cut in the door behind the aluminium trim strip so it's coverd up. You'd do well to spot they have been cut in half!

Spent most of today getting the radiator off and removing the oil filters (really easy to get at the nuts and bolts on them!!:banghead:) The next job is the cab floor (reaaly easy as i've just lovingly put it in:() and couplings ect.

My scammell has a ground spade thingy on the front that has been welded to the chassis extensions and chassis rails so i think i can jack up under this then yank the crossmember out. I cant think of any reason to remove the towing spring or chassis extensions.

Think i might start a restoration blog thingy soon.

All the best and a happy new year:dancing:

Rob

the drive couplings muffs are fairly easy to remove i had no trouble with them .

would be nice to see yet another exeplorer blog i would be interested to see how you go about engine removel hope u have got loads of pics of wot u have done so far :)

have a gd new year

nick

Edited by younggun

the drive couplings muffs are fairly easy to remove i had no trouble with them .

would be nice to see yet another exeplorer blog i would be interested to see how you go about engine removel hope u have got loads of pics of wot u have done so far :)

have a gd new year

nick

Hi Nick have you sorted your engine mounts yet? I did mine a while back, i used two bottle jacks to lift the engine up at the back end. You find two large bolts that join the flywheel housing to the engine, there is a nice flat bit of casting that you can lift on. I used two pieces of scaffold tube on top of the bottle jacks and put wood packing between the flywheel housing and engine cradle for safety. Think i did somthing like that at the front too.

Hope this helps someone.

PS. just stripped a meadows petrol down and have heads, govener, fuel pump and other bits and bobs left over.:cool2:

Rob.

The office. Shame i've got to take the floor out again.

That's a really tidy looking cab. At least taking the floor out shouldn't take too long and, as you have said, because you have only recently installed it will come out fairly easily. What sort of wood did you use ?

There's a relatively inexpensive hardwood that's often used for the beds of lorries and trailers. It has a very high oil content.......em does anyone know the name of the hardwood I'm thinking of ? It's sounds ideal for cab floors. Or, what wood do you recommend as this is a job I've got coming up sometime. Cheers.

That's a really tidy looking cab. At least taking the floor out shouldn't take too long and, as you have said, because you have only recently installed it will come out fairly easily. What sort of wood did you use ?

There's a relatively inexpensive hardwood that's often used for the beds of lorries and trailers. It has a very high oil content.......em does anyone know the name of the hardwood I'm thinking of ? It's sounds ideal for cab floors. Or, what wood do you recommend as this is a job I've got coming up sometime. Cheers.

Hi 6x6. I was recommended wood by two different joiners. Don't know if it's the one you're thinking of. Not sure how to spell it but I think it's Kerowin. I have done the Explorer's cab floor with this and it looks ok. A cheaper alternative to Ash apparently. Recently the prices have rocketed due to the demand for wood in China. :( Daz.

Hello! Where have you been? Polishing that new front wheel drive motorcycle of yours no doubt...

Yeah, well, while you lot have been stuffing your faces over the Christmas holiday I've been on the Wall of Death doing my bit for Britain.

Yesterday, I fired up one of the old bangers to check it over with a view to driving down to the annual New Year's Day Road Run organized by the Somerset Steam Traction Club. Because I work nights it would suit me if this event was held at 03:00 in the morning but, as it is, I've got to try and turn up at 10:00 !!! This is the middle of the night as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I'll do

my best to get there and, God willing, will post photographs of anything of interest to us lot that I see while I'm there.

IMPORTANT. Any other West Country Bumkins thinking of attending please note the starting point is now the North Petherton Cattle Market just off Juction 24, M4, and no longer Taunton Cattle Market.