Scammell Explorer Gallery

Moon and stars lined up at last, patience pays off in the end Nick, well worth the wait!:yay:

What a good one to buy, almost indistinguishable from original yet more reliable, best of luck with HIM he'll be your friend for life I think!

I will have a look in my shed tomorrow, I think there may be a clutch plate and cover in there somewhere, (don't hold your breath) I know I have a new wear plate for the flywheel should you need one.

Edited by gritineye

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i spent this weekend looking into the vibration in top gear

rear prop looked good as its been replaced just before i bought it

what i did find was that the rear drive flange had movement on it possibly taper bearing that just needed nipping up they call that wishfull thinkin dont they. anyway removed the drive flange nut which needed a 4' pole,, and found there was some slack (wear) on the splines.

why is it whenever you work on a scammell a simple job is never that simple i had another flange on a dead gearbox we have tried it on and whehey still got slack so must have wear on the shaft

i found some stuff we sell in our locktite stand that read

repairs worn shafts and threads up to 0.5mm so gave it a try i worked ok on taking up the slack has anyone used this stuff before ?

or am i just wishfull thinkin again i will let you know

next i checked the engine/gearbox mounts can these still be bought from somewhere??? as the 2 rear engine mounts are worn out and the gearbox top mounts look like theres nowt left but dont want to strip them out to check until i know of somewhere to obtain them

any advice?

next job is to get the jib i found off the workshop floor and onto the body of the scammell i will start this tomorrow when i get some burning gear at work i will have to recover the jib from the frame its on and graft it to the explorer body not a good job !!!! pics will be posted tomorrow on how im going

thanks chris

As mentioned a few threads back we had the same fault on PSY 974 with the rear axle flange loose. I found it difficult to tighten the nut to line up the single hole for the split pin, I might file the nut next time and build up the wear on the flange face with weld too. It travelled about 250 miles to Bethune and has some play again now, although the sliding joint is looking a bit tired too!!

The engine mounts for the Meadows (Metallastic?) are still available as far as I know as I bought some from a local truck workshop a couple of years ago. I'm not sure about the gearbox mounts... Good luck with fitting the crane.

Jules

Vibration in top gear is very common ! One long time Explorer owner who is not on this thread advised me that it is standard if you use sixth gear at to low a speed because it is an overdrive :idea: On the short journey to my garden Daisy also had this vibration in sixth and on strip down I have found the front engine mount (same as the rears ) totally unbonded ! Luckily I had a new old stock spare ! I will also need rears if anyone gets a lead on some ! Also the two little buffers for sideways movment where missing ! I know the engine must be shimmed for alignment with the gearbox to prolong the life of the drive couplings (which had segments missing on inspection) so could this be the problem ! Anyone still got the tremmel bar alignment tools ? Good luck with the crane rebuild mate ! :-D

Edited by AndyFowler

Chris, there are no taper bearings in a Scammell box to adjust, so it can't be that. My rebuilt gbox is all new except the output shaft which has some slight spline wear, I re-used the flange that was worn to match it, as fitting another one can lead to even more wear, although if you used the Locktite stuff that may well help stop it.

My box runs perfectly smoothly now even with the spline wear, so I don't think that is the main cause of vibration as long as the nut stays tight.

It is more likely that the gbox mountings are the source of your problems, it is strange that this always does happen in 5th and 6th gear, which points to propshaft speed and maybe some propshaft wear as well.

thanks for that as i said wishfull thinkin about the bearing if only it was that easy!!

managed to get the jib cut back to place on today and lifted into position looks great sat on the top of what was a big space

i was told that as an emergancy (in the event of rear propshaft failure) it was possible to remove the rear propshaft and run just on the front axle obviously not good practice however if i could get it into 6th gear and if i still had vibration it would eliminate the rear prophaft altogether proving that it may not just be a case of (they all do it)

well thats a job in the future

if anyone knows of a good explorer gearbox for sale plz let me know

p.s

looks like that pioneer from the north east has been sold bet ar kid really bummed he quite fancied a look at that

I did the driving on front prop thing to diagnose mine and yes it proved it wasn't the rear prop! But trying to get back up the slope into the farmyard produced the best front tyre squeal ever heard around here! :-D

They don't all do it, mine doesn't now, but I've done everything that can be done.

I meant that high propshaft speed brings on the movement in the gbox mountings, possibly metal to metal contact, best of luck with it mate.

After 52 pages you'll have to forgive me if this one has been done before. The Explorer stuck up in the back of beyond at Tighnabruaich. We went up to see it back in March when it had not long been advertised. As far as I am aware it is still for sale at pretty much the same price. Given its location and the poor state of the cab we felt the asking was a little optimistic. It seems to have been well cared for and it is very complete.

2923674761_230b2a9aa2_o.jpg

2924527066_23789f12e2_o.jpg

2923674035_791603d30d_o.jpg

2923674495_bb4f122c14_o.jpg

There are a fair few more happy snaps of this one showing the bad bits if anyone is interested.

Did you get any work done on Floyd yet mate ?

got all the oils back in the rite places was going to fit the starter motor but the houseing sleave was cracked so ive got some one at work to weld it for me just waiting for the weeked to get back to him

done any more to daisy ? floyd could do with some one to play with :-D

Edited by younggun

Yes mate ! My starter mounting was broken to mate one of the lugs missing ! Luckily I have a spare on the engine that Jules kindly donated to the Daisy marathon ! Only problem its all siezed together ! I have managed to free it slightly after much soaking but its not exactly a prority at the mo ! Checked all the brakes now and everything ok ! Now just scraping and scraping and more scraping ! Paint removal takes a lot of my time now ! Cranes done , bare metal ,as are walking beams ! Gonna apply some grey primer in the next couple of days to keep the rust at bay while I get the rest stripped ! Oh and I'm in the process of removing four of the bald tyres , cleaning up the rims ,repainting and fitting some decent second hand tyres ! One thing I'm a bit concerned with is the corrosion around the brake air tanks where their straps are so they'll have to come off soon ! I'll post a few more pics in the next couple of days ! All good fun ! :cool2:

Edited by AndyFowler

mine is free in the sleave just when the previous owner tried to remove the starter from its houseing he forgot about the locking bolt onthe side and in turn damaged the sleave. need to get him moved to indoor quarters for the winter so i can get to work properly:-D

Edited by younggun

ime got some storage lined up at the moment 2 mile up the road in a nice warm barn still waiting to conferm this but its all looking gd .

i did think about keeping him at work but i didant want to be hasseld all the time when doin work on him pluss our yards a little full at the moment with aircraft tugs and baggage handlers form a resently bankrupt air line

Has anyone ever seen an Explorer with the roof gun mount fitted and if yes where ,when and hope you may have a picture ? Would they be a standard item for all softskin vehicles or different for each vehicle type ? Andy F.

Andy, see LSU 856 on post 438 of this thread, you can see the 2 front mounts, there would be 2 more behind. My Constructor had the same idea, 4 pedestals with a spherical mount on top.

Andy, see LSU 856 on post 438 of this thread, you can see the 2 front mounts, there would be 2 more behind. My Constructor had the same idea, 4 pedestals with a spherical mount on top.
Thanks Mike I have the "ball feet" to fit back on mine ! Just wondered what goes onto them ? :confused: