Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should really be in the militant page but as the yards are under discussion here suppose its OK Militant/coles cranes in vass yard,

Not Militants, Les, although the one on extreme right looks like one. These two in foreground owe more to the wartime AEC 6x6 with similar engine and running gear. Chassis was built by Coles.

Thanks for that Richard, those first two i was aware are coles chassis and crane but its interesting you mentioned the 0854 chasiss i think this model was introduced in the mid 1950s for army and RAF use and to give its full description crane 7 ton fully slewing bridging 6x6 FV11003 AEC/Coles L96404-7 is it possible that new old stock parts were used. Meantime back to the Explorers heres one used by one of our local recovery garages in the 1960/70 period last i knew it was heading to the Thanet area for restoration

hmvf1.jpg

A few years back whilst at work i was informed that a tracked vehiclehad broken down in Shornecliffe road in Folkestone so at lunch break i shot down to get some pics and arrived at the same time as the REME recovery unit from ashford with there Explorer and 18 ton trailer. I knew these vehicles, a rareity in our area were around as they had thundered past my door the night before, two convoys of them what a racket. I am not sure if this Explorer was part of the REME workshops or the REME TA based at the same location, Richard Farrent will i am sure recognise the vehicle and can give us the answer

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

Andy, I think you'll find these photos were taken in Peter Court's yard - the second pic shows the Explorer next to 'Avonhill' with the large red anchor spade, and I think that was my RAF Constructor to the left (going by stripes on bumper and the position indicator stalk and target). The blue Contractor survives I'm sure.