James ML 'Clockwork Mouse'

Rlangham

a James ml125 is going to fetch roughly the same as an equivalent m20 but be much less usable and a lot more difficult to find.What must be remembered is that although much smaller the james has just about everything the larger bike has so will cost as much to restore but it will have far less spares back up,also be careful because these bikes were built post war for the civilian market and these are much more common

hope this helps , Nigel

Engine spares are easy however, and a rebuild of a complete bike is going to cost a lot less than a four stroke machine. There are a couple of companies that specialize in villiers engines and they've got basically everyhing that you could require ;-). Cycle parts are a different matter though... BTW, anyone out there got a front mudguard for one?

Stef

• 5 months later...

I've used the following when I put my ML back together. Terry Roberts I bought my tinware off and the cast folding footrests.

Simply Wizard for basic research info. Alan Abrams who runs the site is very friendly and very helpful.

Villiers Services speak for themselves

http://Http://www.simplywizard.co.uk/

Villiers Services Engine & gearbox parts for all post-war Villiers engines by mail order 01384-265797

Terry Roberts (Metal Magic) Reproduction cycle parts Tel. 01189-731631

There is also a Yahoo group for the 'Famous James' which has proved useful to me at times.

As has been mentioned be very careful as quite a few post war Ml's have been converted to the wartime model. Research is the key to know what you are looking for.

Here are a couple of photos of my ML. One as it was prepared to go airborne, probably for the first time, though not in the type of transport it was envisaged to carry it. The other was taken last year at Jeep and Cheerful at Doncaster Aeroventure Museum.

james in huey 1.jpg

james in huey 2.jpg

close ml auster refueller.jpg

There's a nice but wrongly captioned picture of an ML on the Canadian archives.

jamesmlwa6.th.jpg

Brigade Sergeant-Major R.M. Cooper of the 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade, who rides a Norton WD16H motorcycle, Carpiquet, France, 12 July 1944