Mystery area (to me!) any suggestions?

No Signals

I've seen these 'roads' on the local moors since I was a kid, never yet managed to drop on the local farmer who now owns them and who probably knows all the answers! The main pattern are concrete and the only 'providers' of concrete roads locally that I know of were the water board. These dont look to have anything to do with them. Anybody recognise any similar pattern in them to access roads for artillery practise positions (WW2)? Anti aircraft? But this seems a lot of trouble to get a few AAA guns on to the moors. AAA was positioned locally for the steel works. Some of the smaller tracks are later and are to do with the grouse shooting etc.. There is no obvious local military presence so I'm guessing that period. If you've got google earth and study the moors to the left and top of the location, beneath the pattern fo the later heather burning for grouse to me there appears to be a lot of 'spotting'. Grown over impact craters? Or am I imagining things? Opinions chaps. Google earth type in 'Langsett' and the location is just 'below' the very obvious reservoir.

[/img]

Is it near deserted/damaged farm called 'North America Farm' ??

If so, its Thickwoods lane, which was used by tanks practicing, prior to normandy D-Day.

It was strengthened using rubble from buildings destroyed during Sheffields Blitz.

North America Farm was used for target practice, by said tanks.

Have a look at

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/398646

Ha!! Owda Savvener like you know that? :? :-D

Yep that's the one. North America Farm is indeed no more! I shall have to look for a few spent rounds next time I'm up there! Cheers, I shall sleep much sounder tonight and impress everyone in the pub tomorrow with the excellent piece of successful detective work which I conducted entirely unaided :whistle:

• 5 years later...