WS10 trailer

Tony B

May not have an engine but this heap of rust is quite possibly unique. Trailer Wireless System 10 was developed at Montgomery's insistence to provide secure communications for 21 st Army group. The system used line of sight tight beam microwave communications, very similar to a current mobile phone network. About 130 to 150 trailers were built of which this is a Mk 1 one of the first 50. The unit mounted two generators in the front section and the radio gear in the back. The entire structure was built in sections allowing the sides to be removed and equipment transferred to any high building available. Currently the tyres have been replaced and the side sections taken down. the construction is a wooden frame faced with sheet metal and lined internally hardboard. due to the water entering the gaps not a lot remains, however all the fittings have survived.

Usual thing mate. Built for the job did the job, discarded. The walls and roof are in sections , biggest problem is 50 years of rain and rot getting in. It is built something like a small caravan, the sides came off much better than we thought they would and the chassis is solid. The idea is to restore it as a solid box, to prevent the damp getting in, and the exterior fittings. Hopefully it will be going to Normandy in 2009.

If you'd asked me about 18 months ago I'd have said categorically none survived. A member of our group Goldbeach, was given it. He recognised it for what it was and we moved it down to Cousldon. The last few months have been spent recording measuring getting tyres and repairing, thankfully, one wheel. The rim was badly corroded and if that hadn't been fixable end of story. Fortunately a friend of mine is a professional welder, he also has a great interest in vehicles. Peter made the repair look easy, so we are off and running. The sides have now been removed and are in the garage. The next job is to find a friendly carpenter joiner. Most of the fittings have survived, what aren't usable are standard agricultural type fitting so are obtainable. There is some of the electronic gear allegedly in store at The Royal Signal Corps museum. A total of about 150 trailers were built, 50 or so are Mk 1 like this. The system was experimental and post war was dismantled and probably passed to the US. There was a similar High Speed Morse system used by the Canadians called Golden Arrow, this used a larger artic type trailer and around 2 megawatt microwave. Not what you want to be near when operating!

Good luck with this Tony . My living van was in a similar state and while it looks so daunting it is all doable - (says the man who has just put the new floor in for the second time) :roll:

And the crapentry is not that difficult if you take a bit of time and care - just look at how it was done originally & copy it - easy for me to say having been brought up in that line of work . Unfortunately whoever built my wagon didn't know how to do it properly so I am - perhaps wrongly - sacrificing a lot of 'originality' in order to make proper windows and bits & it is occasionally depressing to sit & look at how much there is to do but i can also visualise what it will be when it's finished which gives the incentive to push on .

DaveM

Thoughts are 2 fold. I know someone who does demolition and salvage so see if they have any suitable seasoned timber, or buy treated soft wooed. All advice gratefully received.

Tony - ash shouldn't cost you a lot of money, where were you looking? I have woodland chums who mill ash, oak etc etc. Do you want to drop them an email with your requirements?

Tony - Jack's offer may be your best bet . Otherwise I would see what you can come up with by way of salvaged timber, there is a lot of good quality stuff to be had and it will beat hands down any new timber - treated or not - that you will find in the merchants now . The new softwood we have to use is absolute rubbish and doesn't last at all well if it's left exposed to the elements . Plus of course , using salvaged materials is more environmentally acceptable if you like to take account of such things .

Tony - Jack's offer may be your best bet . Otherwise I would see what you can come up with by way of salvaged timber, there is a lot of good quality stuff to be had and it will beat hands down any new timber - treated or not - that you will find in the merchants now . The new softwood we have to use is absolute rubbish and doesn't last at all well if it's left exposed to the elements . Plus of course , using salvaged materials is more environmentally acceptable if you like to take account of such things .

Very True;................. ;-)

Got to admit I don't want to do the job twice. Its time to get the tape measure out. The facing is just thin sheet steel. So next question, the inside will be lined, what is the best stuff to treat the inside with? I've had good results with black bitumen roof paint, works well and is cheap.

Glad to hear it has been saved.

I advertised it on various web sites for the original owner without any interest being shown. Even the Royal Signals Museum I understand declined the offer of being given it.

I suppose the search is on now for the two generators which it carried.

Generators or at least shells and equipment, even rarer than trailer. Joris towing vehicle probably Bedford QL or Matador, the in service weight would have been in the 3 ton region. The trailer walls came off so that the equipment can be moved (soooner them than me) to any available high building. the security side of the kit is that it must be direct line of sight to about 1/2 degree. There are some models of the Mk 2 trailers in museums but we got the only real one, I think!! REME any help on history much wanted. It was one of those things Top Secret at the time and once it was known it worked the development went on so fast the originals got forgotten. Currently the trailer will be used for transport and brews, but I'll bet The Signals musuem and a few others become interested once its done.

The official designation of this type of trailer is 'Trailer 2 ton Beam Wireless' so in theory its a bit lighter than 3 ton.

The Generators do turn up but not necessary in Military Circles. Check E-bay regularly on the manufacturers name and also look in the stationary engine section and magazine.

For more details see:-

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4939&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

VIC, you BEAUTY :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :dancinggirls: :yay: :banana: The back end of our trailer is totally missing I had no idea about the exhaust etc. If you have any more photos please can I have them???? The internal partion is very well preserved. That is the mark 1 trailer, the mark 2 set up had generators in a seperate trailer. So they went down under did they?