When is it re-enactment?

Tony B

In view of recent legislation, this may become important. Most of us spend time energy and money tracking down obscure bits or fittings to add to our vehicles. So are we 'Showing a classic vehicle' that happens to have a military derivation, or are we 'displaying military equipment, in a typical scenario as it would have been in service' and therefore re-enacting?

In view of recent legislation, this may become important. Most of us spend time energy and money tracking down obscure bits or fittings to add to our vehicles. So are we 'Showing a classic vehicle' that happens to have a military derivation, or are we 'displaying military equipment, in a typical scenario as it would have been in service' and therefore re-enacting?

Thats a good question, Tony;.......For which, I'm guessing there is NOT one straight answer. :whistle:

If I had to choose between the above, I'd lean more toward the second, in so much that, yes, I show my vehicle, in its authentic markings, with period kit and weopens.

I suppose it CAN be called reenacting,............as I wasn't around when the real events took place, although I PREFER to say it's Living History.

Whats one man's pork, tis another man's bacon,............etc,etc,etc........... ;-)

I prefer the term Historical interpretation, covers it all. There not totally genuine but as near as we get. Reenactment to me means you should follow precisely what happened. Living history sounds so pretentious. I just enjoy boring the public stiff with daft facts and enjoy the 'Cor thats great mister! (Ego showing) :whistle:

I like this hobby for the vehicles, technically they are very interesting, and where else can you get something that cost the taxpayer the price of a small country for nack all at an auction!

I like showing them and talking to the people who have restored/maintained their own particular vehicles, which to me isn't re-enactment at all.

I can see why people like to dress up to match the period the vehicle comes from, but having been in the forces im not particularly keen on it myself, and actively try to avoid people who carry Thompson SMG's and grenades as a hobby!

I prefer the manky jeans and jacket look, infact most of the circle of MV owners i mix with look more like refugees! :-D

i admit my 109 is set up as would have been when in service with me and am always happy to talk to people about the service

some come up and ask about the current opportunities within the forces and what i can now do is show the recruitment dvd so i suppose you can call that recruitment

but i think i would end up under the re-enactor brigade as try to show what was going on and i am always dressed appropriately as not to shame the corps :police:

one thing that most people dont realise is there was always a brew available at our local spot. this was the easiest way to find out local Intel which is why if you meet me the first thing is would you like a brew :-D

will hopefully have some photo's soon of the set up

It was quite common when I would go to a parade, for spectators to ask what I / our group thought of the current operations thinking we were active service personal , Many couldn't understand that civilians could/would purchase and own military vehicles ...they barely handle that part let alone that what they were seeing were restored historical Former military vehicles .

I met up with an gentleman down at the Aberdeen proving grounds in Maryland who was displaying his restored MB or Ford Jeep 194? Cant recall exactly that while he was standing by his vehicle in period uniform a woman approached with an infant and proceeded to lay the child on the hood of his Jeep and change its dieper all the while he's trying to explain that this is HIS Jeep to which she replied of course it is and He saying again this is My personal Jeep ....she didn't get it and finished up and left still clueless

i can now do is show the recruitment dvd

( well, that makes a change from what we normally watch,.............. :whistle: :whistle:)

one thing that most people dont realise is there was always a brew available at our local spot. this was the easiest way to find out local Intel which is why if you meet me the first thing is would you like a brew :-D

:schocked: Blimey, don't go saying THAT, David,...............they'll want CALVADOS next. :sweat: :sweat: