Wet weather gear on a Dodge Weapons Carrier

Larry Hayward

Question

There were variuos Weather proof cabs produced, a lot are ex Norwegian. In combat aituations better to be alive and complaining than dry and dead because you couldn't see what is happening. I built some wooden panels with perspex tops to keep the worst out. Otherwise a good tank suit and Gortex.

I think worthings do them but they're a slightly improved version of the PW Norwegian ones and don't resemble anything wartime... as there weren't any!

Get wet is the order of the day :police:

I've still go my Norwegian ones but to be honest your peripheral vision is so impared when driving with them on as to be dangerous that I'd only use them if i were about to drown

I think thats about the same as the open cab Diamond T trucks they had half door lowers only .

a bit off this topic but I think in the American WW2 vehicle group only the staff cars,the Dodge ambulance's and perhaps the Dodge Command cars had heaters as standard equipment , perhaps other know if that's correct or if there were others .

No idea on the Canadian or British Military <perhaps also only ambulances and staff and command cars>

Real Men didn't need such extras as doors and heaters?

yeah but it can get so that I need wipers on the glasses :-D i,ve driven mine in the rain, apart from the Dodge douche not to many problems. I always drive with as much canvas as possible up because the rest of them over here have the steering wheel on the wrong side. The other thing is when on the road I use modern bus mirrors, the bigger the better.

I don't think there was a factory set of doors for the Dodge WC range, but I am sure the GIs would have improvised something to protect themselves from the bad weather especially in the winter of 44/45.

If you are looking for doors for your dodge we make a winter enclosure for the WC range it fit very easily with no modifications to your vehicle. When fitted it makes the Dodge virtually draft and weather proof with no loss of visability.

I will attach a couple of pictures to show what it looks like and will post more in the classified section.

Jim ALLIED FORCES 01454 261100 or 07831 378904

width=640 height=480http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/CatD4/dodgewinterkit002.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=800http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/CatD4/dodgewinterkit004.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=800http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/CatD4/dodgewinterkit007.jpg[/img]

A very nice improvement! You have capture details so much so it look's like it's a rare WW2 original , does it also deal with the problem of water sloshing forward on the rear roof?

I,ve stuck some of that plastic sign board under the canvas over the uprights. stopps the water puddling beautifully.

ABN thanks for your comments about our canvas doors, as WW2 military vehicle collectors ourselves we try to make things that we would want on our own vehicles.

Unfortunately it does not stop the water coming over the front when you first apply the brakes. We did for one customer, sew a flap between the main tarp and the cab roof which worked very well, if he wanted the cab roof off he just rolled it up onto the front of the main tarp.

Jim.

Your welcome , the flap idea is what I had wondered about doing or some kind of zipper with flaps , it seems to be the only weakness in the original concept unless and dare I say it , make the entire roof into a single piece ... that would also suggest adding ribs or supports between the windshield frame and the first bow running front to back ?

ABN, I don't think the cab roof is the problem, its the first section of the main tarp where the water puddles, then when the brakes are applied it shoots forward over the driver and passenger.

The flap sewn between the main tarp and cab roof works well and stops the water coming over the front.I know this makes it impossible to remove the cab roof from the main tarp but you cant use the cab roof without the main tarp anyway.

I don't think making the whole canvas as one would work as there would be no way to tension the cab roof section

I see you meant that you sewed the front tarp on to the rear tarp I thought only a rib/flap of canvas had been added to the rear tarp . You have a good point as to the tensioning. I m sure the Dodge owners will be very interested in the weather proofing improvements you have to offer them now .

Those wet weather doors do look good!

As for water on the roof I have often thought that a few extra bungee cords could help remove the valleys that form in the canvas. Has anyone tried that solution on a Dodge?

For anyone worried about authenticity, you would only need the bungees in place while travelling home because if it peed down with rain so much on the way to a show - you'd probably turn round and going back home!

At least you were going home and not out somewhere else .......where it might be difficult to explain about puddles in canvas and stopping and such a poor design ..... or do most WC drivers routinely carry spare trousers in plastic bags for just such occasions in wet weather?