State Library Victoria ( Australia) Pics

goanna

Just a few samples of the many pics to be found on the SLV website. 

'Jenny' looks like it is a captured Italian Lancia 3RO truck , it has had markings for a Australian unit applied. Interesting to note that Italian trucks were Right Hand Drive. I had a look in the ARN books , could not find the Lancia (15087) but listed  close by there is is a SPA vehicle that could be a vehicle that was returned to Australia .  One of the two captured SPA 4X4 vehicles that were returned to Australia is currently here in Gippsland,  it used to appear at the local vintage old wares show, it is a restored running chassis , no bodywork.  

The 15 cwt CMP with dental caravan was supplied to the NEI army (Netherlands East Indies) The truck features the unique Aust. built cab with a canvas 'sunshine roof', it was a Australian modification seen on the 15 cwt models. The Dutch flag is seen on the bumber bar. 

SLV10.jpg

SLV17.jpg

slv22.jpg

slv33.jpg

slv87.jpg

slv174.jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Like 3

Few more: The SLV captions are often brief and incorrect , written by a library staff member, but they sometimes give a approx. location and time. 

The street parade scene is possibly in Sydney . C 414 is a 1939 Ford 1 Ton Battery Staff W/T . Usually these were issued to the Gun Position Officer. Built with a soft top roadster cab, they were fitted out with a wireless set, i.e. W.S. 101 or 109.  A restored example appears at Corowa.  After it's army days were over C 414 was sold in Feb. 1945  back to:  Ford Motor Co. ( Aust.)  It would then have been  sold to a civilian owner through a Ford agency/dealership.  

The dock scene with Ford M-H gun  tractors and Bedfords is  a Port in the Middle East. 

The German Half-track . Don't know much but it is likely to have been returned from Nth. Africa  for evaluation.   

slv292.jpg

slv288.jpg

slv276.jpg

slv274.jpg

slv28.jpg

slv187.jpg

Battery-St.jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Like 1

Ah a Fiat it could be ! 

It is likely that the WILLYA MA pic was taken in Melbourne as the pic is credited to the ARGUS newspaper . The first US convoy arrived in early 1942  and I spoke to Don White , he was the counter sales guy at Stokoe Motors ( Melbourne WILLYS OVERLAND dealership since the mid 1930s ) , about this event.  Don told me: he witnessed the yanks driving around Port Melbourne in WILLYS MA and BANTAM BRC Jeeps , Don spent his working  life selling Jeep parts so he would know.

Only one MA Jeep has been found here, it turns up at Corowa each year, from memory it was found abandoned on a orchard farm up near Orange NSW. I took these pics recently, the body was mostly missing, so the restorer used standard MB body tub bits grafted on to the MA cowl. I believe while being used on the farm, the Jeep had towed a semi-trailer loaded with fruit bins , they had chopped the tub off and installed a 'fifth wheel' 

20240314_180456.jpg

20240314_180507.jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Like 1

Pic 1. The troops are well kitted out ! Looks like it is a casual dress day with uniforms being optional. The chap in the middle background looks rather aged... 50 to 60 He may have told the recruiting officer about his Boar war service.

Pic 2. Convoy scene with 1940 Ford staff cars. The leading car M  1180,  it was shipped to the destination "E"  on the Dutch ship Montferland in Jan. 1941,  it sailed from Sydney. I am not sure of the destination codes:  E could be Malaya or the M/E. 

Pic 3. Middle East Port scene  with a 1 ton Ford lineup. 

Pic4. Training mechanics:  In the background are International K series trucks fitted with the Aust. wooden framed soft top military cab. 

Pic 5. Vehicle repair workshop in the Nth African desert. The reality of how it was , an open air work place with the dust and hot sun, nothing like the cosy garage we have at home today - and our fussy paint jobs and spotless restorations. 

slv37.jpg

slv42.jpg

slv69.jpg

slv72.jpg

slv89.jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Like 2

The neighbour of a friend in France did also pull an MA jeep from a shed. It was burried under a lot of firewood that he was supposed to remove there. The old woman that lived in the house told him he could take the jeep too....😀

Edited by Citroman
  • Thanks 1