What is the Car Tax for a Defender with a 2.5 NAD engine?

LarryH57

Question

Also what kind of milage for a Defender is a bit OTT?

I have seen plenty with over 100K on the milometer so I guess the 2.5NAD goes on for ever in an ex-mil vehicle?

Thanks Larry

Edited by LarryH57

9 answers to this question

Dunno  !    sorry  ,  however I do know the wife's  10 year old  Fiat PANDA  4x4  is only  £35 p.a.  Me-  I would love to re-spray it NATO Green.  The Defender started with the 2.3  (2286cc)  and then the 2.5 (2495cc)  petrol engine (both with Webber twin-choke) then the 2.5na   (this was all the 5mb engine  Project Harrier) .  Arguably - the  2.5 pet. is more sensible than the V8  3.5L

If the vehicle was manuf. pre April 1984 it will be VED free, if registered as Historic, in April this year.

Post '84 it's taxed by engine capacity & exceeding 1499cc that's around £325, but will rise this April as it does every year.

3 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

I thought Defenders arrived in 1986. Getting an ex-Mil Defender with an 84 plate would be ideal.

The title Defender was not used until 1990, prior to that LR's were defined as 110 (introduced in 1983) or the later  90 .. also bear in mind that the 40yr VED exemption runs from the beginning of April, so such a vehicle manufactured after that date will have to wait until the following April to qualify for Historic registration & VED exemption.

Gov.UK doesn't give anything away without a fight 🤨

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:56 AM, LarryH57 said:

Also what kind of milage for a Defender is a bit OTT?

I have seen plenty with over 100K on the milometer so I guess the 2.5NAD goes on for ever in an ex-mil vehicle?

Thanks Larry

The  2.5na  - had a bit of a early problem , they did in fact  'go on for ever'  - when they did you had to somehow stall them , like run into an imovable obstacle.   The army were blamed by overfilling oil on parade ground checks (disputed). Civilian buyers - excuses excuses excuses.   Paper element air filters were becoming oil begrimed , turn off DERV and they ran-on oil vapour residue and then the sump oil (at amazing rpm) out of control.   A REME officer invented a cyclone recovery thing (a genuine metal one is a RARE and top $ desk paper weight).  Solihull came up with a injection moulded plastic version.  Much controvesy , I forget the full story but IIRC  LR provided the MOD with 400 new engines f.o.c.  as a stop-gap.   ISTR in the final analysis it was the ring-sets to blame but no public fess-up.