Restoring watermarked Photobucket images

Royal42

Hello all,

I have noticed that a lot of images on here have the Photobucket watermark over them.  I'm not sure if this will work for everyone but I have found a way to open those images, without the watermark, by right-clicking.

The way I do it is:

select the photo and right-click the mouse.  This will open up a drop down menu.

select "open link in new tab".  This should then open a new tab showing the photo without the watermark. 

Save the recovered image using File/Save as etc.  or take a screenshot and save that.

Herewith an example:

XOwYc5Y.jpg

Z942Vb0.jpg

I hope this works for you.  Actually,  I would be interested if this does work for other members.  Please post here if it works for you, or not.

Seasons greetings,

Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Clive,

I think you may have selected the image in my post, which I have saved to Imgur.  I would recommend you find another image on HMVF, or any other site, and try again with one of those.  Let me know how you get on.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for that tip - it worked for me to good effect cleaning up a photo I had.  Now we need a way of restoring all the old images which have disappeared from the forum as a result of the introduction of charges by photobucket and the passage of time.  (Wish)!

Glad to help.  I don't think that Photobucket removed the images, my understanding was that the photo owners deleted them from their PB accounts; hence, why they disappeared.  The one that are still there, albeit with the watermarks, can be recovered but I'm not sure whether the owners can be bothered to do the work to recover them, even with this newfound information.   Non-originators cannot edit those post; therefore, it would be up to the originators to do the recoveries.

I must admit that it would be really good to see some of those images restored, there are some wonderful images on this site, plus those photo owners would have put some effort into taking and processing them for our benefit.

cheers,
Mike

For those not aware of the issue  :-

Why are there almost no images on this site?

Our apologies for the loss of most images on SeSco.

However, the piece of scum known as Rupert Murdoch bought our image host of many years, Photobucket, some time ago and has been slowly ruining it. Now we know his real motives - MONEY by blackmail, holding our images for ransom as he places a service formerly free for almost two decades behind another of his stinking PAYWALLS.

Without any warning or notice, image sharing was disabled, and the only way to get them back it to pay $399 for the formerly free service.

Needless to say that is never going to happen, and we are emptying and deleting our Photobucket accounts - and will not be going back, ever (even if the sharing was restored).

Although Photobucket stated the account would be closed and deleted on 5 June 2017, it did not even honour this, and it remained in existence, with an invitation to restore it, until 15 June 2017.

See their pathetic 'explanation' or excuse for ending the service with ZERO notification to users here: Photobucket addresses complaints over new policy that charges heavy users $400 Retrieved 16 July 2017.