10 Cwt…. 2 Wheeled Lightweight Murex Welding Trailer Restoration.

I think it’s now confirmed I have a trailer problem… !

Yes another one has joined the collection, purchased from two avid trailer collectors. 

This is the murex welding version, very complete, sat in its post war bronze green. For now this will be pushed into the shed, but at some point will be stripped engine lowered back into the chassis, repainted and fitted back with ww2 electrics. 

Few images below. 

IMG_2841.jpeg

IMG_2842.jpeg

IMG_2844.jpeg

IMG_2845.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

Very impressive, but why would the engine be jacked up? (Surely it would make the trailer far more unstable when being towed? Or was ground clearance an issue when used off-road and they had to do that to resolve it?)

Chris. (G8KGS) 

Originally truck mounted. 

More information:-

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5434

mw4.jpg.14f620a65275f4e6424d3a5195f08465.jpg.a5395740eea7df8eaa3ab7f25905e950.jpg

On 11/8/2023 at 8:47 PM, Chris Suslowicz said:

Very impressive, but why would the engine be jacked up? (Surely it would make the trailer far more unstable when being towed? Or was ground clearance an issue when used off-road and they had to do that to resolve it?)

Chris. (G8KGS) 

Chris. 

It’s a good question, something I’ve be thinking about. Certainly not a ground clearance issue. 

These we made to be air-portable. So needed a low hight to fit inside a glider, whether or not these were ever moved in a glider is another question. 

As Matchfusee pointed out these were originally skid units, then some adapted to fit into trailers, trucks etc. 

I would surmise the engine being sat so low in the trailer was a pig to work on, so having it sat on the upper frame made any maintenance whole lot easer. All be it now being top heavy. 

Some pictures I have found showing the Austin engine sat down in the chassis…. See how impractical it would be to work on it. 

IMG_3832.jpeg

IMG_3833.jpeg

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2024 at 8:36 PM, Jerryjeeprichard said:

Another trailer to the collection. 

I spotted that one listed and did wonder if you'd buy it 😁

Alec

• Haha 1

Ha. 

This trailer collection is boarding on being a problem!!! Apparently.. 

For the price it sold for I had to buy it. Complete with its original data plate which my complete murex is missing. 

Also the chassis currently under my first murex is 5KV generator type frame.
To make into a WW2 murex frame it would take a substantial amount of work to adapt.

My plans are to build one good WW2 spec trailer out of the two. 

I’ve spent a good day today cutting and grinding off all the clagged on bits of steel. 

IMG_6478.jpeg

IMG_6480.jpeg

IMG_6482.jpeg

IMG_6483.jpeg

IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6484.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Help and advice required!! 

Firstly. 
Engine mounts are knackered. Anyone recognise what other pieces of equipment these would be used on to help me track a set down. 

Secondary. 

Now that I have transplanted the trailer back into the murex chassis, the exhaust system that was in the original trailer will no longer fit. 
I have found another silencer that might be better suited. It’s a lot shorter and will fit width wise across the back of the trailer.
Anyone any pictures on how the exhaust system should be fitted?  Before I start getting creative? 

IMG_6879.jpeg

IMG_6878.jpeg

IMG_6877.jpeg

IMG_6678.jpeg

IMG_6677.jpeg

IMG_6698.jpeg

IMG_6699.jpeg

IMG_6700.jpeg

IMG_6701.jpeg

IMG_6702.jpeg

IMG_6703.jpeg

IMG_6704.jpeg

IMG_6705.jpeg

IMG_6706.jpeg

IMG_6707.jpeg

Little more progress from the weekend. 

So looking at the images of John C welder trailer restoration it seems there is an additional plate welded to the chassis to locate the front engine mount. 
Based of the images below I have the same alignment issues. So I planned to replicate by fitting the  additional plate too.  Doing this jacks the engine up meaning the fan won’t run concentrically in the radiator.
in the end I removed the old engine plate  and replaced with a slightly longer one. 
Complete with little helper!  

IMG_6693.jpeg

IMG_6694.jpeg

IMG_6695.jpeg

IMG_6697.jpeg

IMG_6712.jpeg

IMG_6713.jpeg

IMG_6714.jpeg

IMG_6708.jpeg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, cordenj said:

Great photo Richard.

Start them young....this was a few years ago as he's reading Aeronautical Engineering at Sheffield now, so 10cwt trailers were a good grounding!

IMG_3272.thumb.JPG.eb4d5886ddf3f64cb92d8c1523b60ba0.JPG

But back to your question:   The exhaust was rotted off my First MUREX, so had to get creative.

IMG_2469.thumb.JPG.901bf30ddd1f17221d4dd0bda7417ba6.JPG 

Edited by cordenj
  • Like 2