Help with my Helmet

winchman

Could any one help me identify this helmet?

Its different to the Brodie type I have seen before?

Has fixing in the very top of the dome, leather harness inside have had a good Google but can't see anything the same?

Leather is embossed 7 I assume the size?

1941 and B.H ? embossed on to the leather 

FC painted on the front

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

W is the marking for a warden.  Wardens were not issued with Zucherman. FG is the marking for fire guard. , Only fire guard officers wore white helmets, and these were of the brodie pattern. Even the most senior only had 1 wide band and 2 narrow bands.  So i would scratch my head over this one. An excellent place for ww2 CD info is ww2civildefence.co.uk.

Edited by ted angus
  • Like 1

Evening Ted.  I've not seen this combination of marking before either but, given the relatively low value of Zuckerman helmets, I'm not sure anyone would spend the time and effort to fake the tat-bazar example.  (I think most helmet fraudsters are getting handy with Normandy cam on Spanish helmets, etc.)  I have, however, seen some very oddly painted -  but absolutely period - Zuckerman: particularly those associated with commercial concerns.  I look forward to hearing more!

All the very best.

A

From: <https://www.warehouse701.co.uk/authentic-wwii-fire-and-warden-tin-hats-or-helmets>

"...a distinctive white Zuckerman helmet with three black rank bands and bearing the letters 'FG'. These were worn by individuals acting as Fire Guards under the Fire Watchers scheme, to help identify and deal with small fires within the local area. Small teams would search out incendiary bombs, secondary fires and other similar threats following air raids etc. The three black bands denote this belonged to an area Officer or Captain."

Screenshot 2023-10-14 175446.png

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
additional text

1 hour ago, ted angus said:

W is the marking for a warden.  Wardens were not issued with Zucherman. FG is the marking for fire guard. , Only fire guard officers wore white helmets, and these were of the brodie pattern. Even the most senior only had 1 wide band and 2 narrow bands.  So i would scratch my head over this one. An excellent place for ww2 CD info is ww2civildefence.co.uk.

<http://josephs-militaria-and-homefront-collection.co.uk/PAGE16.HTML> Nice image of Fire Guards in Zuckerman and Brodie.

fg.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Just to add . . . this very nasty jazzed-up helmet is on tat-bazar (sic) now.  The seller wants £138 and I'm still trying to work out why?  A truly horrible modern overpaint.

ghastly.jpg

Really badly executed "recreation"...I would have made a better job making one of those.

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 1