Windscreen fabrication advice

zzoldtown

Hi guys,

Im looking for a U.K. based windscreen fabricator, preferably In the South.

I need both driver and passenger frames, rubbers and laminated glass for the Austin and have one of the originals with shattered glass but have the hinges etc.

can anyone recommend a company?

I don't know what type of Austin you own. But I got two windscreen glazing panels for my Austin Champ cut from toughened glass at a local glass supplier.  I think most glass suppliers can cut flat toughened glass. If you need a curved glass that would be more difficult. For windscreen fabrication I think you will have to find a local company that will take the job on.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, B series said:

I don't know what type of Austin you own. But I got two windscreen glazing panels for my Austin Champ cut from toughened glass at a local glass supplier.  I think most glass suppliers can cut flat toughened glass. If you need a curved glass that would be more difficult. For windscreen fabrication I think you will have to find a local company that will take the job on.

I somehow doubt it was toughened glass, once it has been heat treated at the factory it is almost impossible to cut or drill due to the built in stresses. What you have is most likely laminated glass, a sandwich of two glass sheets with a plastic centre core.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radiomike7 said:

I somehow doubt it was toughened glass, once it has been heat treated at the factory it is almost impossible to cut or drill due to the built in stresses. What you have is most likely laminated glass, a sandwich of two glass sheets with a plastic centre core.

had a new toughened screen made for a stolly by a glass firm in Ashford Kent-it was definitely toughened

There is (or was) an outfit called Brasscraft who seemed to make high end vintage screens. Suspect deep pockets and a persuasive story would be required.

Paul Beck vintage supplies the brass extrusions but pulling round corners might be more error than trial and it’s not cheap material for the scrap bin.

I’d recommend laminated over toughened.

Good hunting

Peter