Landrover FFR 110 Tithonus 1987 - Rear Crossmember

Steve A

Hi, I am looking or more having to replace the rear Crossmember and searching for a supplier to purchase from. I am not quite sure what part number I should be using, as I believe I have a civilian Crossmember given the military Crossmembers seem to be just straight bars rather than slanted at the end. However, when I look at the civilian Crossmembers they do not seem to accommodate the holes for the NATO Trailer socket and the NATO hitch holes look a tad dubious as well. Would anyone be able to help with my conundrum before I buy one and drill holes into it. I have attached some pictures of the rear cross member to help. Grateful for any assistance if possible. Many thanks Steve

IMG_6824.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

IMG_6825.JPG

I question if it is corroded enough to require replacement.  But of course I cannot see behind the cross member from the photos.  I have never needed to replace a rear cross member, but on a 110 I don't think you could do a good job of the welding without removing the rear body.  I assume some Land Rover aftermarket companies would supply replacement rear cross members that would have non Rover part numbers.

It's certainly a genuine rear X member , chassis almost certainly Ex-Solihull.  The welded platework is hardly reinforcement - it is a cover patch where rust gets a rot hold  at th socket to the longitudinals , grind off and the true extent will be revealed  (it will lack structural integrity for towing - even with a civvy style drop-plate (approved) with diagonal braces that bolt to the chassis in area rear wheel).