Hankley Common Atlantic Wall

Visit to the Atlantic Wall (Farnham Surey) 25/11/07

(I have arranged a visit to Hankley Common the site of the WW2 re-creation of the German built Atlantic Wall in France.

The remains of this full size training aid and other training aids on the site were built to test the effectiveness of the various "Funnies" that were destined to be used on D-Day.

David Fairhead and Pete Andrews, historians with an interest in the site will be our guides.

We will need to walk some half mile up hill and over rough ground to reach the site.

We will assemble in Farnham Central Car park for Departure at 10.20 hrs. Our group will then convoy to the wall (5 miles)

Farnham Central Car Park is located in the centre of the one-way circuit around the shopping area.

The entrance to the car-park is located on the south side of the one-way system on the rights side of the road opposite a small park and before the police station.

Parking is free and toilets are available.

If you would like to come along please let me( Peter Davies) know so that I can estimate numbers attending.)

Peter Davies

I have just cut and pasted this for Peter

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36472

steve

Edited by Joris

A very Interesting read , I hope efforts to stabilize and perserve this historic structure will be taken ...as well as others finding the locations of the other two missing wall sections. The things one finds with the Internet and Friends is amazing :-) ;-)

When I was a kid my school used to send groups to stay at Marchants Hill Rural Centre near Hindhead and we used to hike over to Hankley Common to watch service types parachuting from a balloon. We used to walk up past the golf course to get there and then sit and watch the hardy souls making their jumps. On one occasion some gentlemen were on Ex and were hiding in a small cluster of trees when good old Mr Thurley and the third year breezed past making a racket. My mate Leonard found a mortar bomb and we all got spent shell cases. The mortar bomb (just a tail unit) was too much for Mr Thurley and we never went back with him. They were good times escaping from the real life of the "East End". I'm never sure Hackney really qualified as such, but it didn't make the squalor any better.

MB