Pilot of Enola Gay dies.

Davie

Also passed away on October 31st is David Tallichet.

David was a 100th Bomb Group pilot who opened a chain of restaurants after the war. He was a big name in the warbird preservation movement and owned his own B-17 which he flew across the Atlantic to play the starring role in the 1989 film 'Memphis Belle'. He also flew one of five B-25 Mitchells over for the 1970's film 'Hannover Street' starring Harrison Ford.

Both Paul and David were great characters in aviation history. Both sorely missed.

Steve

Paul Tibbets

A brave and cleaver man who we all owe a great deal of thanks to...not only did his historic mission save many allied lives..And change the nature of warfair he was also a great pilot too.... It was to be his responsibility to organize and train a unit to deliver the atomic bombs in combat operations. He would also determine and supervise the modifications necessary to make the B-29 capable of delivering the weapons.

Paul Tibbets was based at Grafton Underwood Northamptonshire in 1942 and was part of the 97th Bomb Group which dropped the very first bombs carried by the 8th airforce on the railway marshalling yards at Rouen, France..

I have posted an article about Grafton Underwood and Paul Tibbets part in that airfields history...http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=6244.0

He told the Dispatch in 2005 that he wanted his ashes scattered over the English Channel, where he loved to fly during the war.

Paul Tibbets R.I.P

width=500 height=280http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa281/Lawson67/33588678.jpg[/img]

• 3 years later...