field Manuals relating to ww2 motorcycles/maintenance/general?

jpw

Are there any ww2 british motorcycle specific manuals? I seem only to be able to find the Harley ones from the US. It would be interesting  to see the setup for field repair setups, beyond the tiny  get you home toolkit.

Kind regards 

John

Every make had their own manuals, parts lists and riders handbooks, and then there were the more general REME, and Royal Artillery school motorcycle manuals and questionaires, but they are not that interesting, there's some that were put together with articles from the wartime motorcycle magazines, about the more popular makes, will see if I have any pictures of those, I must have over 250 different manuals, for all the bikes I have, and more, it's a disease.....

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_2176.jpg

• Like 2

When you talk about 'set-up',  do you mean the physical tools ? Beyond the vehicle kits, the next step up was, I believe the filled tool chest "Motorcycle, artificer's".

Individual servicemen were expected to perform routine maintenance tasks, but they were certainly not expected to tinker too much.

In Jack Dienst's book " A civilian in Uniform", he refers to himself as a 'Section fitter' (he was corps signals) and he seems to have had sufficient equipment to be able to carry out most repairs in order to avoid them going back to REME workshops. It's well worth getting hold of a copy.

Just now, 79x100 said:

When you talk about 'set-up',  do you mean the physical tools ? Beyond the vehicle kits, the next step up was, I believe the filled tool chest "Motorcycle, artificer's".

Individual servicemen were expected to perform routine maintenance tasks, but they were certainly not expected to tinker too much.

In Jack Dienst's book " A civilian in Uniform", he refers to himself as a 'Section fitter' (he was corps signals) and he seems to have had sufficient equipment to be able to carry out most repairs in order to avoid them going back to REME workshops. It's well worth getting hold of a copy.

Thank you. Motorcycle artificer sounds like the step up that I was looking for equipment wise. I'll have a look at the book you recommend after I've finished Adventures of a despatch rider.